Thread: Any tips for studying for Nursing Boards?

Any tips for studying for Nursing Boards?

Hi,
    I am a new RN graduate and I am wondering if anyone could give me tips on studying for the nursing boards. I am terrified. Pleeease can you give me some good advice.:eek:

Re: Any tips for studying for Nursing Boards?

It's been a long time since I had to take the NCLEX now (20 years!), but way back in the dark ages when I did I found that those of us who relaxed the night before at the hotel & didn't try to study that night passed while those that stressed out and tried study sessions in groups or tried to cram didn't pass.

So my first word of advise is this. You really either know the stuff by now or you won't at the last minute so DO relax the night before taking the exams. After all, every day you've been in nursing school has been preparing you to think the way you need to think, to pass nursing exams designed to prepare you for the NCLEX, and to give you the knowledge you need to pass it. You know a LOT more than you give yourself credit for already!

BUT-- many fellow students from my class also used NCLEX prep books and prep courses as well. Kaplan has been conducting NCLEX test prep since my school days at least and lots of nurses swear by them, so if you feel you need some more structured preparation that might make sense too.
    NCLEX® Resources & Prep

I agree with the above post.. You know this stuff already... I would advise against any last min. cramming... The more you try and last min cram. the more your gonna freak yourself out.... Kick back and relax the two days before the exam.. ****.. Have a drink... What ever it takes.. Go into take the NCLEX, calm, cool, and collected... You'll be fine.. You Know what you need to know.. It's all good.. Keep your composure and it will be fine..

I would have to agree with everyone else. You already know what you need to know for the NCLEX. On the night before, relax and have some fun (just not too much fun).

After my classmates and I took the test we all sat down and talked about it. We came to this agreement. You really aren't studying to learn more information. You are studying to understand how the questions are asked and to properly answer those questions!

Welcome to Nursing

My personal advice is this.

Buy or borrow five different NCLEX® Review books (libraries usually have several). There's AJN, Barrons, NLN, and a dozen other brands. Any review book with an index and explanation of answer rationales will do.

Then sit down with a medical dictionary, a drug book and your nursing textbooks handy and start going through questions.

Set aside at least a few hours/day for several weeks to a month before you're scheduled to take your test.

My classmates and I did an average of 6 hours/day just going through questions and different review books for a month before we took our boards.

We each answered 75 questions and passed on the first try.

As we went through, any terms we did not recognize, we looked up in our med/surg books and flagged it for review later.

In a good day, you can get through a few hundred questions. Do as many as you can stand in a sitting.

When you need a break, go for a walk, go shopping, have a snack, then go back and do some more.

As you go through the books, you'll start to recognize more and more terms.

The ones you need to look up the first time, you''ll remember the next time!

Even if it all seems unfamiliar at first, it will pass as you do more questions and review the items you're unsure of.

If you have the money, buy the books (even if they're a year old or two, the question content doesn't change).

We marked ours up liberally as we studied, jotting down the page # in our med/surg books next to the question in the review guide.

It saved a lot of time when we needed to look things up for a second time or when we needed to review.

Hope that is helpful! Andrew Lopez, RN

Andrew Lopez, RN
    Nursing Associations, Degree Programs Online, Jokes, Schools, Scrubs & More
    http://www.4nursing.com

You can also try going straight to the horse's mouth for resources:

National Council's Learning Extension: National Council's Learning Extension is operated by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing, Inc. (National Council). The National Council develops products and services for nursing students, nursing educators, practicing nurses and Member Boards of Nursing. Please visit the Store section for information about the products and publications available for the nursing community. The net income generated from product sales is used to support the mission and programs of the National Council. Visit National Council's main Web site (ncsbn.org) for information about our programs and services.
    National Council of State Boards of Nursing Attn: National Council's Learning Extension
    676 N. St. Clair, Suite 550 Chicago, IL 60611
    ph: 312.787.6555 fax: 312.787.6898 campusadministrator@ncsbn.org.
    http://www.NCLEX.com/

Andrew Lopez, RN
    Nursing Associations, Degree Programs Online, Jokes, Schools, Scrubs & More
    http://www.4nursing.com

Hi:

I graduated long ago too...but here is my story. I took the pre-test just before getting out of nursing school. That got me a trip to "Old Flo's" office, the Dean of Nursing. I was ripped to shreds and told what a disgrace to the school I was and that I would never pass the Nursing Boards and to hang it up. She was dead serious...and I did do I think the absolute worst of anyone in the class.

I got a study guide and did those questions and reviews every day...I still did horrid on those.

Then came the day for testing. I went in, sat down at the table and came out passing the first time...not only passing but with the highest score of anyone in my class. I had an almost perfect score and "Old Flo" ate her words big time. I did nothing special except the study guild I bought at a local bookstore.

So my suggestion is to get a study guild you think you might like. Study it, but don't get discouraged and don't cram, just keep yourself fresh on your knowledge. Go in to the test fresh and well rested and keep your cool. Try not to be nervous and just give it your best shot.

Thanks