Thread: What do you do to de-stress?

Smile What do you do to de-stress?

Nursing can be such a stressful profession. I am totally beat when I get home from a 12 hour shift. What do you do to destress? I need some good stress relieving tips.

Re: What do you do to de-stress?

Dear Gladys55 --
    I've looked at all your posts and I think I like you very much!
    You ask good questions, you think about things beyond the run-of-the-mill "did I get everything done?" new-grad, and I hope you have a long and happy career in nursing.

How to de-stress? I've been in nursing over 30 years (no longer at the bedside, but still working) and here are a few of my favorites:

1. Day off -- use it as a spa day (sleep late, shower or bathe long, eat lots of fruit and exotic salad, drink a lot of water, listen to favorite music, walk outdoors -- someplace lovely, drink a glass of exquisite wine and chat on the phone with a favorite friend) always works for me!

2. Tea (usually herbal) -- brew a pot, drink it alone, enjoy it with some music or out on the deck or porch with a view of nature!

3. Exercise -- my favorite is Pilates join a class or buy a DVD to use at home

4. Leave work at work!!!! This takes time to master. Whatever got you down today, let it go once you get home. If it is a BIG DEAL, you may need to take action, but that can wait until tomorrow -- for today, focus on something wonderful -- your friends, your family, your pets, your favorite old movie, a great meal or a long walk in a beautiful place -- don't bring the issues home and ruminate! Let the work-day be over!

Good luck with your stress -- learn early what works for you!

--p

Re: What do you do to de-stress?

I try to work my three 12 hour shifts in a row so I can have 4 days off. What do I like to do... Well, after my 3rd 12 hour shift that night after getting the kids to bed I relax in a nice bubble bath with the lights dim and a couple of my favourite candles lit. I also like to enjoy a nice glass of wine (Barton and Guester- Beaujolais) or an apple martini. You know the saying "An apple martini a day keeps the doctor away". Well due to my work schedule and hectic family life I have to limit it to 1 or 2 per week.

I go out to lunch with friends or my husband. Since we have been on summer break I take my twins out for a "Mommy-Daughter Day". I spend so much time away from them while I am at work, I love spending time reconnecting with them. It is amazing the type of conversation you can carry on with two 5 year olds. Their vocabulary and the things they say never ceases to amaze me.

I go to the gym 3 days a week and work out. I still have the last 15 pounds to loose from my pregnancy. Yes even after 5 years I am still plagued with the left over weight. I had a difficult pregnancy and was on bedrest for the majority of my pregnancy. I will never forget the day before I delivered I tipped the scales at 285 pounds. I prefer not to say I was fat, I was fluffy.

This year I planted a garden and I have really enjoyed working in the garden. This is a new experience for me. I am surprised as to how gratifying it is seeing the seeds I have planted grow into vegetables that we have already started enjoying at the dinner table.

In the previous post I saw that tea was mentioned. My girls love having tea parties. I have a proper tea set and we have hot tea with half and half and sugar (Equal for me) and proper crumpets with jam and butter. My Grandmother was English and as a child I loved having our afternoon tea together when I was visiting her in West Palm Beach.

What ever you do it is important that you relax and try not to let the stresses of the job consume your time off from work. If you can not do this you will soon learn what burnout means.