Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Would You Do?

Re: What Would You Do?

That nurse was incorrect in their actions. BUT:

NEVER call a person stupid. If there is a problem, the person needs to be talked to. That is a very powerful word to call a person.

NEVER call some one at home to ask why they did not do something, when you know it was not done. If there is a problem fix it and drive on. Most nurses I know that do that are very power oriented.

Last - You ranted a problem without a viable solution to the problem. I think we have all encountered a problem like this and it is how we handle it that makes us good co-workers.

I do not think people are for the underdog, I think they were against your anger in the post and the way you articulated the problem. This place is to spill you guts but it is a place to get constructive criticism.

hi all i'm a nurse from the uk , i just wanna add a comment to this, yes ok she made a mistake, we can all do that if not given enough info but what really gets to me is that no matter where in the world nurses are y are we so bad at supporting each other, i ask y?, the damn job is hard enough as it is, so plz all b patient to each other as well as the patients, nurses are human too, ps lol i'm gonna b taking the nclex soon i am a qualfied rn in the uk but gonna b moving to the usa, if anybody wants to chat contact me on my yahoo messenger the name is: wolf_funk have a good day all

hey, we all need to vent sometimes!

Maybe stupid was a bad choice of words. I dont know that I wouldn't have used it myself though. You come home, you've had a bad day, you're fired up because the nurse before you not only created the problem, but really showed no concern for future precautions...I'd probably say the same thing...

Member Extraordinaire

I know you all have missed me...my computer is acting silly so I'm on my husbands. I didn't have nurse stupid last night I'd say more like lazy fits the bill. It's time to get off we're crazy (labor & delivery) with several delivered at the same time and others in the wings. Everyone coming on comesto the rooms where we are and asks whats going on and what needs done but there's one that goes and sits at the nurses station not going to work until she gets report ...at the station. I'm sorry but when I'm helping a doc in a delivery (as is everyone else) it's time to get up and find out what needs done. I would think you can see nobody is coming to give you report come get it. It's not like it's the first time. I did give her a telling off last night. I'll tell her sorry this morning for my way of saying it but still tell her if you see it's busy get up and do something. Not like it's the first time. We're good at doing c-sections right at 6:55 pm and there are a few that don't come into the OR and get report they wait for us to get into recovery to take over where as if they'd come into the OR they could get the lowdown and take over as soon as the final count is over as we all like to go home on time. I knew you'd be glad I'm back to hear me bitch.

I agree with the original writer. What that nurse did was not only stupid it goes to the question of basic competency. Did she not know the PTT was 200? Did she even know enough to check the PTT? Does she not read orders she signs off? Does she not know that Protonix is not compatible with Heparin? The whole thing is mind boggling; one error compounding another. Don't tell me this is another one of those wimpy web sites where people are not allowed to say what they think so long as they do not use profanity. There is nothing wrong with strong opinions or words for that matter. Try reading some commentary magazines and see what kind of strong language you will find! No one ever died from words but patients can die due to negligence or incompetence.

What nurse stupiid did was not stupid; it was dangerous. If the patient had died she could have been prosecuted criminally as well as civilly. Practise principals - NOT PERSONALITIES.

This was re: Cassioo's post...Wow, this same thing happens in my L&D unit and it is so frustrating. I work l&D and Newborn nursery. It is so frustrating when you are back in the OR or in a delivery and no one will come relieve you. The same ones that won't relieve you are also the same ones coming to give you report before you even put your purse down or clock in. I come in at 6:30 so I don't have to rush and you are right after 12 hours we all want to go home !!!

[ QUOTE ]
    smbrn said:
    Don't tell me this is another one of those wimpy web sites where people are not allowed to say what they think so long as they do not use profanity. There is nothing wrong with strong opinions or words for that matter. Try reading some commentary magazines and see what kind of strong language you will find! No one ever died from words but patients can die due to negligence or incompetence.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are quite liberal in what is allowed on the forums, long as it is not blatant spamming, attacks or profanity, you'll find we let people voice their opinions, beliefs, with little or no censorship.

However, the use of profanity in a public forum is a striking sign of ignorance. It will not be tolerated regardless of the context.

That aside, your views are welcome.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    (Network site owner)
    http://www.nursinghumor.com

OK, OK, the person was stupid!!!!!

I try to talk to the person, if there is no positive response I use the peir eval and written counseling. If that does not work I write a letter with documentation to my director. I have had a person removed from CVICU.

I agree with you. Not only was your "nurse stupid" STUPID, she was NEGLIGENT. Yes, nurses are human and we all make mistakes. God knows I've made some of my own. But repeat offenders of things like this deserve the title. I run into this type of problem sometimes myself. I call the mistake to the nurses attention and help to fix the problem. I know that we all want to go home asap at the end of the day, but it is very important to stop, look behind you, and make sure that your is covered before you walk out the door. We can never be too careful in our profession.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast