Thread: Hi & Thanks

Hi & Thanks

Hi to everyone and a great big THANK YOU to all the people who post here. I am learning so much just by reading through all of the postings. A special thanks to the moderators who maintain everything.

I am definitely a non-traditional student who at the ripe ol' age of 48 decided to study nursing. I am knocking out my pre-reqs at a community college and waiting (with fingers crossed) for an interview for a BS to BSN program.

Question: My ultimate goal is a family nurse practitioner. From the time I enter nursing school, what is a reasonable time frame for me to finally achieve my NP certification, given that the BSN program I am looking to enter will be an 18 month program? I guess what I am trying to get a handle on is what is a reasonable time between completing the BSN and starting the MSN program? I am thinking 18 months in the BSN program, 1 year as an ICU nurse, and then 3 years on the MSN so roughly 5 1/2 years. Or is that moving too fast and any reputable masters program will shoot me down? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Bryan

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Hi & Thanks

Welcome to the site, Bryan! Glad you joined us. We certainly try our best here.

Don't forget the Student Nurse forum, or the Rubber Room for venting!

'Cat'

First and foremost, welcome NPwannaB. Second of all, the typical Family Nurse Practitioner program lasts around 3 semesters for the RN, BSN and about 6 semesters for non-nurses. However, this quote is based upon my specific graduate school. Schools in your area may have more or less requirements. None the less, good luck in your educational endeavors, and thank you for stopping in to join us here at UltimateNurse.com. We hope your time here is both satisfying and informative.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

Thanks for the warm welcome. The MSN program I am looking at is 9 semesters so that is why I threw out the 3 year time period for that part. Of course, I am looking aways into the future but I'm trying to outline things in the back of my mind.

Bryan

The one I am in is a 5 semester deal for RN, BSN, as it is a dual certification program. It is known as Emergency Nurse Practitioner, which prepares you to sit for both ACNP and FNP boards. It can get hectic, but I really enjoy it.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles