Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 37 to old to work on a nursing degree

Re: Is 37 to old to work on a nursing degree

I am also in the same boat. I am 29 years old. When I went into the military I heard computers technology was the way to go. Well after 8 years in military working on networks and T-1/T-3 troubleshooting I was medically discharge. First thing I did was get a computer security job, now I am tired of watching computer monitors and there is seldom any form of job satisfaction. I stayed in it because I made decent money about 45k a year with great benefits, with this cause I didn't want to leave since I have two kids and a wife. Now me and wife both want to become nurses. Now my problem is just finding a way to work part-time, nursing school, and pay off bills..etc.

All right, ready for this? After 20+ years as a manufacturing designer, I've returned to school and am pursuing my RN licensure. Oh, by the way, I'm 56yo. That's why I had to chuckle when I saw this post and had to reply. And, I'm not alone. There are others my age, male and female who are changing careers, going for a second career, or just now entering the job market after the home mommy tract, etc. At present I've completed my pre-reqs for the nursing program at my local (Oakland county, Michigan) community college with a 3.60 gpa, am awaiting a certified letter in June as to my start date in the actual RN nursing program, and I'm beginning classes offered by the local hospital in a week and a half in order to work as a nurses' aid. I'm very excited about it and a little nervous as well that I do alright. At least the interview went rather well with the department manager.
    Please post replies or e-mail me directly if you like. (jsingel@excite.com)
    Good luck to you and all who read this!
    Jim

I would have to answer you with an absolute no, you are not too old. I am 49 and have 2 semesters left for my BSN. This is a second career for me and am a much better student at this time in my life. I am in fact the oldest in my class, but am very accepted. Hope you opt to continue.

Kathy

****o! Im paulo, a registered nurse here in the Philippines....I am 38 years old and a newly registered nurse. I used to be an accountant but I found my fulfillment in nursing. Definitely not an advantage coz nurses of my age thinks more matured and more critical. Good luck to all!

thanks for all the posts in this thread, it has helped me greatly! i am 47 and start my ADN program August 15. was worried i would be to old, but ya'll and the nursing advisor at the school have assured me i am not tooo old. i am so excited about all this!

You are NEVER EVER too old to go back to school. I was in nursing school with a 50+ year old respiratory therapist. Professors actually prefer adult learners as they are genuinely willing to learn and absorb; while setting an example for the younger students in the course; thus shaping the dynamic. Not to mention, organization skills, etc.

I don't care if you are 99 years old and wanting to pursue your B.S.N.(just make sure to get into an accelerated program if you are 99 though, lol), you can do it.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

IMHO it all depends upon you. If you are young at heart and in reasonably good health -- since nursing is a phyically taxing job -- why not go for it?

I have a friend who is a great guy and he is 47. He just finished his nursing degree 3 months ago and he's going to be a great nurse.

I would encourage you to map out a long term plan if you go for it, specifically related to areas of speciality you might want to pursue and how you will get there.

You'll never have trouble finding a job in this industry as long as you are competent. It's totally a candidate driven market and it's only going to become more so over the next 2 decades.

Smile Re: Is 37 to old to work on a nursing degree

lol, read the original post! It's from 2004!

Quote Originally Posted by wrmlpn View Post
    lol, read the original post! It's from 2004!
    Not at all a big deal it seems to be helping a lot of people with the same nagging fears.

Keep on posting guys and keep this thread alive.
    "BECAUSE I SAID SO" IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON.

I think at 37 you are still more than capable to perform the duty and task of a Nurse. I also think that it plays as an advantage to whoever you'll be working for even the school that you'll choose to attend, as maturity definitely helps in this field.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast