Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Memphis vs Nashville

Re: Memphis vs Nashville

I thought Nashville was bigger since it has the pro football and hockey team, while Memphis did have the NBA team.

People knock Memphis, but to me (someone who grew up in Metro Detroit), it is like any large city. There are good a bad parts to it. Germantown is very nice area just outside of Memphis for example.
    Barry Manilow didn't write I Write The Songs. Bruce Johnston did.

No, Memphis is much larger than Nashville. However, Nashville has the reputation as Music City, USA; which of course brings in the tourism and tourism affords metropolitan expansion. Statistically, Nashville is larger, but you have to consider that it is a 13 county metro area.

If I remember correctly from TN History in college; memphis, founded in 1819 and later incorporated in 1826, as a result of an accord between chickasaw Indian tribes and the powers that be. Later on in the 1840's when the capital was to be selected for the state of TN between several of our counties(White, Knox, Hamilton, and Shelby, I believe). During the time prior, Knoxvillem Nashville, and Murfreesboro played musical chairs as the host city of the TN government.

Memphis, being right on the Mississippi river, lost it's charter at one point, due to both bankruptcy and the Female Anophales mosquito(vector for malaria), due to the lack of people. This was one thing that knocked it out of the running for state capital. This economic uncertaintly made permanent Nashville's then temporary seat as Capital of TN. There were of course other factors such as the dispute over the geographic center of TN(Murfreesboro), water lines, prisons, legislative buildings, etc; but all that is for another post.

In summation, Nashville, while statistically larger in population is not larger than memphis; given the fact that the population collected is for 13 counties that make up the Nashville Metropolitan area.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

I'm from Nashville and LOVE it! Never been to memphis but the crime rate is bad. I worked @ Vandy during my preceptorship but would love to go back when I'm done traveling!

You should try one of their Nurse Internships, or better yet, check out their online job listing.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

Nashville..

Pick Nashville. Safer by far. Lots to do. I live about 90 mins from Nashville (am travel nurse). There are alot of really nice, inexpensive areas within commuting distance. It's easier to get to lots of places from Nashville.

Wink Re: Memphis vs Nashville

I worked in Nashville at Vanderbilt for about 2 years. The payrate isn't that great compared to other hospitals in the area unless you do float pool. But, when you compare nurse-patient ratios (@ vandy sd ration 3,4:1, other hospitals 6:1) it makes a difference. DO NOT go to St. Thomas right now. They are in the midst of a mass exodus of nursing staff due to lack of hours, increase in nurse-patient ratios, etc.

As far as Nashville vs. Memphis, it really depends on what you're looking for. If you are looking for a more family-oriented place, I'd say go to Nashville or one of the surrounding communities. Many people live in the suburbs and commute.

Travellers aren't really used that much at Vandy since they mostly rely on their float pool.

There is a float program, I think its with HCA, where you go to 3 of the different hospitals in the area. The pay is great for TN (around $30) if you're willing to do alot of driving.
    Hope this helps!

I've lived in Memphis for almost 10 years, and ironically I want to move to Portland, OR. But if I had a choice I would go Nashville all the way. Memphis is a weird place. Yes it has high crime, as does any big city. But that's not the clincher for me. It is a weird place to be. There is a lot of corruption as previously mentioned, and the comments about MLGW are soooo true. If you have an older house expect to be paying 300-600 dollars a month in the coldest and warmest months for heating/cooling. But worse, it is a city that is extremely racially charged (see recent coverage in Memphis new profiling this story). It can be a hard place to live sometimes for everyone. There is a dichotomy financially, also, with clear divisions between rich and poor. Don't get me wrong there's a lot of fun stuff going on here, including BBQ fest, music fest, one of the best zoo's in the country, and tons of cultural activities. Also, as far as nursing there are some great learning opportunies with the Methodist transplant institute, trauma at the MED, or any ICU in the city (high acuity). But as soon as my contract's up, I'm gone. I'm just over it. I'll be moving to Nashville or Murfreesboro, or possible travelling if the economy picks up. Good luck in your choice, but hopefully it's pretty clear by now.

Quote Originally Posted by amberdouglas View Post
    Memphis is HORRIBLE, worst crime rate in the country. A friend of mind moved into a gated community in Cordova (good part of town) and was carjacked in her apartment complex parking lot. Politics are really bad there and the memphis light gas and water company are so corrupt...MLGW bills range into the 500-600 dollars a month for people just to cover where the politicians have been racking off funds and not paying their own bills. I heard on the radio a few eeks ago that the latest poll sfrom the police states that somewhere around 35 percent of the people that drive around in memphis don't even have drivers lic. or insureance ( don't know how true that is), but traffic is a nightmare, people drive like crazy. Memphis drivers are famous for how reckless they are. The city won't allow police offiercs to work in the city unless they live int he city, so they don't have enough cops. Average ratios at the hospitals run you around 8 pts per nurse in M/S or Tele...I could go on.
    :bs:If your MLGW bill is $500 then you need to turn off some lights. I live in a 3200 sq ft house in the burb of Bartlett and my highest bill has been $269. It averages around $150.

I've never been mugged, robbed, burglarized, or had any crime committed against me or my property while living in this city. Oh wait, unless you count the neighbors boy shooting a bb through my bedroom window by accident.

I've lived in a few countries other than the US and a few cities in the US other than Memphis. They all have their issues. None of them are nirvana. But overall, Memphis isn't a bad place to live. The people are friendly. The cost of living is affordable. I can make a decent living, raise my kid, and not worry too much. I've worked in every hospital in this city over the MANY years I've been an RN, and never have I been placed in a position of having my license put in jeopardy from bad nurse patient ratios. But then I guess I am from a generation where we learned time management, something I've noticed sorely lacking in the nurses turned out of the past 5-10 years. Sheesh I am sounding old now...LOL..

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F View Post
    No, Memphis is much larger than Nashville. However, Nashville has the reputation as Music City, USA; which of course brings in the tourism and tourism affords metropolitan expansion. Statistically, Nashville is larger, but you have to consider that it is a 13 county metro area.

If I remember correctly from TN History in college; memphis, founded in 1819 and later incorporated in 1826, as a result of an accord between chickasaw Indian tribes and the powers that be. Later on in the 1840's when the capital was to be selected for the state of TN between several of our counties(White, Knox, Hamilton, and Shelby, I believe). During the time prior, Knoxvillem Nashville, and Murfreesboro played musical chairs as the host city of the TN government.

Memphis, being right on the Mississippi river, lost it's charter at one point, due to both bankruptcy and the Female Anophales mosquito(vector for malaria), due to the lack of people. This was one thing that knocked it out of the running for state capital. This economic uncertaintly made permanent Nashville's then temporary seat as Capital of TN. There were of course other factors such as the dispute over the geographic center of TN(Murfreesboro), water lines, prisons, legislative buildings, etc; but all that is for another post.

In summation, Nashville, while statistically larger in population is not larger than memphis; given the fact that the population collected is for 13 counties that make up the Nashville Metropolitan area.
    I hate to bump an old thread but you're spreading inaccurate information. The Nashville metro has quite a bit more people than Memphis (300,000+ i.e. roughly half the size of either center city). Even if you reverted the Nashville back to the old 7-county metro, the Nashville metro would still have considerably more people than the Memphis metro and is growing much, much faster. Sure, the land size of the metro is rather large but the other six counties that were added during a previous census have very, very little people. They were lumped into the Nashville metro because of their commuting patterns and likely because the people in those sparsely-populated counties have to drive to Nashville to find jobs.

Granted, Memphis does have a older, denser center city but the city is stagnant and more of an old South Mississippi River city compared to Nashville which is a more progressive (for the southeast), New South city that has maintained its charm. Visit both cities and this is readily apparent: more shopping options, more hustle and bustle, great neighborhoods and quality of life, etc. Plus, Nashville is WAY better for just about anyone in the health care industry with HCA, Community Health, Vandy, etc.
    Last edited by Human Behaviour; 11-03-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12