Thread: Hi, a quick question

Hi, a quick question

Hi,
    I am a nursing student with about 2 years left to go. I plan on getting my BSN. However I have a question. 3 years ago I was arrested because I was close to where a fight was taking place and the police thought I was involved. The charges included assault and disorderly conduct. However all of these charges were dismissed and dropped because I was in fact not involved in the fight. Does anyone have any information on how this could effect my career as a nurse? Is the mere fact that I was arrested very bad news for me even though the charges were dismissed? Any information is great because if i'm going to change my major I had better do so soon.
    Thank you

Smile Re: Hi, a quick question

If you had been formally charged or had plead guilty to this or a lesser charge I would be worried. Since the charges were dropped I would not worry about it.

Good luck in your future nursing career

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hi, a quick question

Quote Originally Posted by kimmiejs
    If you had been formally charged or had plead guilty to this or a lesser charge I would be worried. Since the charges were dropped I would not worry about it.

Good luck in your future nursing career
    I think most applications ask if you've been convicted not arrested.

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy99
    Hi,
    I am a nursing student with about 2 years left to go. I plan on getting my BSN. However I have a question. 3 years ago I was arrested because I was close to where a fight was taking place and the police thought I was involved. The charges included assault and disorderly conduct. However all of these charges were dismissed and dropped because I was in fact not involved in the fight. Does anyone have any information on how this could effect my career as a nurse? Is the mere fact that I was arrested very bad news for me even though the charges were dismissed? Any information is great because if i'm going to change my major I had better do so soon.
    Thank you

Hi Rudy,

I agree with the others in the belief that you're safe. Like Cassie said, applications ask about convictions, not charges. Should the report surface during a background check, you would need to explain but only answer questions being asked. Don't feel obliged to spill your guts. If you find it difficult to get a job and believe that this charge is the reason, it would be worth your while to spend the money to get a legal consultation. There may be a way to clear your record of the charge. I don't think changing your major wouldn't help because your record follows you everywhere. Gook luck.

R

Hi,
    If you have not been convicted then there should be no problem.
    Well thats as far as I know.
    If you are worried I think you can pay to have a search on your own name, to see if you hold a record.

but as said befor, only answer questions as asked and don`t spill the rest!

Call the Nursing Board of your state and ask them the question you have posted here.

In my personal experience, details not forthcoming, if the charges were dismissed you should have no problem applying for a nursing license.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN