Thread: Need Advice! Interested in Nursing

Need Advice! Interested in Nursing

Hey, i dont know if this is the correct place to ask such question but i will give it a shot hehe. Well, am finishing my Bachelors of Arts Multimedia degree soon and i plan to study nursing after this because I don't enjoy multimedia at all. I have always been interested in nursing, its a childhood dream of mine but i sorta brushed off the idea because I'm kinda afraid of blood. The thing is, if am afraid of blood, do you think it's a hurdle for me to pursue my dream? Or will i get used to it anyway? I wonder what are the requirements to enter nursing school? And how many types of nurses are there? How many years to complete a degree?And if i want to study part time, can i work at nursing homes or hospitals just to gain experience and also to acquire supplementary income for my tution fees? Thanks

Re: Need Advice! Interested in Nursing

Your best bet would be a second-degree accelerated BSN which would give you credit for your liberal arts coursework. Some of them take only 12 months but getting in is hard if you don't have good grades. Your fear of blood might go away but do you really want to spend lots of money on school if you are not certain? I know that money is a big factor for many people entering nursing programs but trust me nursing ain't easy.

Skymoma

Smile Re: Need Advice! Interested in Nursing

Hello Nurse(s) Hi How Are Ya!
    I 'am "A Future Nursing Student" And Would Like For You To Assist Me If Possible By Replying To This Thread With Some Outstanding Advise That Can Change My Life As A Future (dedicated) Nursing Student.

But First I Have A Question! I Would Like To Know If YOU Can Tell Me Or Assit Me In Finding Information About The Nursing Exam; I Also Would Like For You To Tell Me Since You Have Taken The Nursing Exam What Is Going To Be On There Exactly, And What Do I Need To Watch Out For. My Intended Specialty Which Is Several ;which I Dont Think Needs Mentioning But I Would Be Interested In Critical Care!!!

So Please If You Have Any Information That Can Help Me Do Not Hesitate And Reply!

Thanks!

For Those Who Need More Information As To What I Would Like For You To Tell Me
    Here Goes!

1) How Many Questions Are On The Test
    2) How Much Time Is Given For Each Part Of The Test Or In Total
    3) When Is The Best Time To Apply
    4) What Kinds Of Questions Are On The Test
    5) How Long Do We Have To Answer Each Part Of The Test
    6) When Is The Best Time To Take The Test
    7) Do You Remember What Questions Where On The Test
    8) How Many Ways Did You Prepare For The Test
    9) What Way Did You Find To Be Best
    10) Did It Help You To Complete The Test "for Each Part" At The Time That You Hoped
    ?

THANKS AGAIN!

Skymoma

Wink Re: Need Advice! Interested in Nursing

Has Any Body Taken The Test Yet And If So How Was It?

Was It Easy

How Many Times

What Where The Hard Questions

What Were The Easy Questions

How Old Were You

What Was Your Score

What Questions Did You Like The Most

Which Ones Did You Miss If Any

Where You Comfortable

Which Questins Where The Coolest

Which Questions Where The Hardest

How Many Were They

Why

Any Comments

How Where The Test Procters If Any

Any Trouble(s)

?

WHERE DID YOU TAKE YOUR TEST ( NCLEX-RN)?
    WERE THERE ANY OTHER TESTS THAT YOU HAD TO TAKE?
    HOW MAY WERE THERE?
    ANY OTHER COMMENTS?

Thanks For Answering The Questions Above!

Skymoma

Wink Re: Need Advice! Interested in Nursing

Please Excuse Any Typo's In My First Or Second Post!

Arrow Re: Need Advice! Interested in Nursing NCLEX-RN Exam preparations

Quote Originally Posted by Skymoma
    Has Any Body Taken The Test Yet And If So How Was It?

Was It Easy

How Many Times

What Where The Hard Questions

What Were The Easy Questions

How Old Were You

What Was Your Score

What Questions Did You Like The Most

Which Ones Did You Miss If Any

Where You Comfortable

Which Questins Where The Coolest

Which Questions Where The Hardest

How Many Were They

Why

Any Comments

How Where The Test Procters If Any

Any Trouble(s)

?

WHERE DID YOU TAKE YOUR TEST ( NCLEX-RN)?
    WERE THERE ANY OTHER TESTS THAT YOU HAD TO TAKE?
    HOW MAY WERE THERE?
    ANY OTHER COMMENTS?

Thanks For Answering The Questions Above!
    Hai
    I am madhu i have prepare from NCLEX-RN Examnations, So please sugest how to prepare the exam and send NCLEX model quistion papers.
    Thanking you
    madhu

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Re: Need Advice! Interested in Nursing

Quote Originally Posted by Skymoma
    Hello Nurse(s) Hi How Are Ya!
    I 'am "A Future Nursing Student" And Would Like For You To Assist Me If Possible By Replying To This Thread With Some Outstanding Advise That Can Change My Life As A Future (dedicated) Nursing Student.

But First I Have A Question! I Would Like To Know If YOU Can Tell Me Or Assit Me In Finding Information About The Nursing Exam; I Also Would Like For You To Tell Me Since You Have Taken The Nursing Exam What Is Going To Be On There Exactly, And What Do I Need To Watch Out For. My Intended Specialty Which Is Several ;which I Dont Think Needs Mentioning But I Would Be Interested In Critical Care!!!

So Please If You Have Any Information That Can Help Me Do Not Hesitate And Reply!

Thanks!

For Those Who Need More Information As To What I Would Like For You To Tell Me
    Here Goes!

1) How Many Questions Are On The Test
    2) How Much Time Is Given For Each Part Of The Test Or In Total
    3) When Is The Best Time To Apply
    4) What Kinds Of Questions Are On The Test
    5) How Long Do We Have To Answer Each Part Of The Test
    6) When Is The Best Time To Take The Test
    7) Do You Remember What Questions Where On The Test
    8) How Many Ways Did You Prepare For The Test
    9) What Way Did You Find To Be Best
    10) Did It Help You To Complete The Test "for Each Part" At The Time That You Hoped
    ?

THANKS AGAIN!

The NCLEX changes every year so you never really know what's going to be on it. The year I took it the primary focus was disaster triage, criticle thinking and delegation and crisis intervention. Would you believe I didn't get a single drug question? I almost felt cheated.

The number of questions each person is asked varies. The total number is around 350 but it's possible to answer 75 questions and pass. It's computer aided testing so it asks A question if you get it right it asks a slightly harder one if you get it wrong it asks a slightly easier one.

You can't apply until you finish nursing school and can apply any time after. The test is given several times a year so you will be sent a date and time after you apply.

I went to work on IP and didn't take my boards until 120 days after I graduated. I studied by taking practice tests in all I reviewed about 5000 questions prior to taking the test. I completed and passed the test at 75 questions in just over 90 minutes.

I did not find the test to be terribly difficult but I've always been a good test taker. The big thing is to really read the questions and apply your criticle thinking skills. It's important to understand what the question is asking. I used Lippincott's NCLEX guide and another one I don't remember the names. I also did a number of practice tests on-line there are several sites just google NCLEX preperation.

I don't know if this helps at all but my advise is to not worry about the boards right now. Just go to nursing school and work hard. Depending on the program you are in you'll have 2-4 years to get ready for the test.

peace and namaste

hppygr8ful