Thread: jobs on Maui?

Question jobs on Maui?

I am considering a move to Maui (family is there) and I'm a new LPN. I have an awesome job now with great pay so I'm not sure if I should give it up. I would love to know if anyone has information on the nursing status there because I have found it difficult to gain info on my own. Thank you in advance.

Re: jobs on Maui?

I'd give it some serious thought. Almost everything is more expensive in that state, schools tend to be lower quality (they are much more laid back), and the nursing shortage is going to hit there much sooner that the rest of the U.S.

Hawaii already has one of the oldest populations. Their babyboomers are going to retire much sooner than elsewhere.

The nursing shortage there will be much more severe due to their geographic location, cost of living and greatly increased need for nurses.

This article will shed some light on the topic.

June 26, 2006: Hawaii:""Without enough RNs, some health care providers (e.g., hospitals, nursing homes and home care agencies) may be forced to limit or discontinue services."

Even if they continue to provide services, the center said, having fewer nurses could affect patient safety.

The nursing shortage is a global crisis, with Hawaii's plight intensified by a population aging faster than the rest of the nation. While demands for care are increasing, baby boomers -- the bulk of registered nurses and nursing educators -- are retiring."
    http://starbulletin.com/2006/06/26/news/story02.html

Career-wise, it might benefit you to look into an LPN to RN program before you go.

Hope that is helpful!

Andrew Lopez, RN
    Nursing Associations, Degree Programs Online, Jokes, Schools, Scrubs & More
    http://www.4nursing.com