I work in a small hospital. Less than 200 beds. I 've yet to get the opportunity to see a Swanz or set up a cvp line or measure pressure. We will get an A-line sometimes and maybe someone on a vent here or there. We do, however, have airway issues, laryngospasms here or there, lots of ortho, neuro, but no cardio, or trauma really. We get pulled all shift. We have to go help endo "sedate" for their procedures, start IV's for outpt., relieve each other for lunch, go to pre-op holding area , do IV consious sedation for pain clinic and vascular services, and sometimes the nurses at the front desk would send patients to us to get prepped and sign consents in Pacu while we have patients, because the holding room nurses leave early or their latest nurse gets off work at 6:00pm and we are expecting to operate past 10pm. "Imagine having your first surgery and watching a patient across from you having a laryngospasm" Get the picture? Our recovery room and hospital is small, but not that small to have to deal with that. After 5:00pm (when management leaves), the phones for the entire OR are forwarded to PACU. We have to handle calls ,while we are very busy, continuing to receive patients from the OR. QUESTION: Where can I go to get real pacu experience, and not have to worry about being pulled to do everyone else's job and having to leave my department short staffed.
Signed,

Fedupnurse