Thread: Newb looking for info

Newb looking for info

Hi,my name is Wynne. I am looking into actualy setting myself on a carreer path instead of just working nothing jobs to get by. At this time I work doing order processing for a major wireless company and while the pay is ok, I am missirable and in pain due to the amount of typing. After evaluating my life and talks with friends and family I would actualy like to get into Nursing/Midwifing. I have been trying to track down info to set me on a path and I was wondering if anyone could recomend any good books to start off at reading so I know a bit more about what I am getting into?

Thanks!
    Wynne

Re: Newb looking for info

Well, I'm just starting my first year of nursing school this fall, but I found a really good book called A Nurse's Story, by Tilda Shalof. I am reading it right now and it is excellent!

Re: Newb looking for info

While I can't recommend any particular books I would suggest you talk to actual nurses about what they do, their responsibilities, work hours, ups and downs of the profession, etc. There is plenty to read here on the forum as well regarding the actual job as well as school requirements. If you can, I would strongly suggest you volunteer at a hospital or nursing home for a couple of hours on different days and just observe what nurses do. Make sure you know what you get yourself into before you start and that you really want to pursue this career. There are many rewards and plenty of sacrifices and it is a committment! Good luck!