Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Q, what are the new grad salaries in your area

Re: Q, what are the new grad salaries in your area

I think it's hard to talk about hourly salaries and get a good picture. Yearly salaries of 62-64k a year in new York city is what I hear new grads get. I also hear you don't have to go to med-surg anymore. You can go to whatever specialty (well almost any) that you want and they'll take new grads. If anyone from NY knows otherwise please correct me.

Member Extraordinaire

yep hard to talk salaries all over the country with the cost of living so different all over the country. I'm looking at buying a 4 bedroom 3 bath house on 8 acres for $130,000 in KY but how much is a 4 bedroom house in the Newport beach CA area? closer to $500,000? We're still under $2 a gal for gas in KY too where I'm at so I would like to have more money but I can survive with less around here.

4 bed 3 bath on that much land (as long as it's a house, and not a trailer/manufactured housing)in Southern NC is around $300,000. We are in the process of buying a 3 bedroom 2 bath on 1/4 acre for $130,000.
    New grads make $10-13/hr. and the healthcare here is really not good. So, I wouldn't recommend Wilmington, Outerbanks, Myrtle Beach or any of the surrounding areas.

Member Extraordinaire

nope it's a house a little older built in the 70's but right now I live in a house built in 1923. Not all houses in the area are that price but we do have a low cost of living and no traffic. All of those things have to be considered for anyone planning to relocate. I drive 27 miles one way to work right now it takes me 30-45 minutes depending on the time of day but you know if you live in some big cities in this country it will take you longer then that to drive across town. The longest wait you have for a resturant is about 10 minutes on a Friday night. Traveling is looking less desirable to me right now.

I live in Eastern North Carolina, near Goldsboro, and new nurses around here are starting about $18/hr with lots of sign on bonuses. I have not heard of any salary less than $18 from any of the recruiters from around here either. Cost of living is pretty good here, but gets higher the closer to the Triangle that you go.

I live in Orlando...hourly rates in the major hospitals here are about$16-30 for full timers with benefits, per diem rates are $25-37/hr ...there are "seasonal per diem" rates for $30-40/hr...plus shift differentials.....I do not know of any RN's making over 100k in Orlando UNLESS they are CRNA's.

[ QUOTE ]
    litljenarey said:
    my sister told me the starting salary at her hospital was 110k/yr?? Does anyone know if there is any truth in that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Take $110K and divide it by 2000 hours/year, the typical 40 hours/week and you're talking about making a starting salary of $55/hr.

I don't think so .. . .

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursingmail.com

Upstate NY is $17.50

Time off for good behavior. lol

I live in West Texas and just graduated from RN school..around here all hospitals are paying new grads around $18/hr...+shift diff and the Sign on bonus around 12 thou for 2 years

Here you make as a new grad RN, $18.00 and some change.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast