Thread: EKG classes

EKG classes

I am setting up EKG classes for nurses in a non-cardiac environment for new nurses and aids. Besides proper lead placement, what would you want in it?

I teach an advanced class, but I have a problem with Keeping it simple for new people.

I have A&P some Electro physo., and common errors.

Thanks

Anonymous

Re: EKG classes

Trouble shooting is always a good thing.. Like if there is alot artifact give them some of the reasons why.. i.e. movement etc. Stress privacy especially for women. Some people don't mind being exposed but others are uncomfortable. Also, show them unacceptable strips and acceptable ones so they don't look foolish handing it to an experienced person..

JMHO.. I rarely do them.

The name's changed but I will always be WindingRoad

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to your when you have forgotten how it goes.

Member Extraordinaire

we have a shorter EKG class and it has basic strip reading not alot of treatment and not lots of pressure..no test that counts at the end

Coming from someone how is ACLS certified, and unfortunately working with other Nurses that have only been required to complete a basic EKG class. This class is not efficient when caring for ANYONE who is on a Cardiac monitor. NO MATTER WHAT UNIT THEY MAY BE ON. I have too often walk in to find that the Nurse nor the monitor tech could idenify 3rd degree AV blocks, or that constant bi & trigemidy are not a good thing.

So if you work with patients who are on Cardiac Monitoring... do yourself a favor..take the ACLS class, and then not only will you be able to idenitfy any rhythm, but you will also know how to treat them, and that makes you smarter than the rest, and this could prove to be a GREAT asset to your patients!!

CAN SOMEONE PLZ TELL ME IF I CAN SEE IF IM ON THE REGISTRY THING THEY CHECK BEFORE THEY HIRE YOU? AND HOW TO? IM NEEDING HELP!

Member Extraordinaire

Coming from someone how is ACLS certified, and unfortunately working with other Nurses that have only been required to complete a basic EKG class. This class is not efficient when caring for ANYONE who is on a Cardiac monitor

I plan to take ACLS course after I take my RNC test next Wed. But if I have a post op c-section believe me I can detect a problem and her first problem most likely won't be a heart block unless she had the problem before. That's a difference in taking care of a generally healthy population vs a sick one. So kind of like making a ICU nurse take a fetal monitor class cause we ob nurses have had to go up there to take care of OB trauma on a vent. Not something that happens often but better to work together on what you do know cause if it's not something you use everyday not really worth it. I'll take ACLS just because I can not because I have to.

I put together a 12 lead EKG class for people who can read monitor strips. All I teach is Axis deviation, Left BBB, MI with reciprocal changes, and broke down the EKG in how the electrical changes reflect in the EKG.

There is only a few places that teach EKG's. Genatech the maker of TPA, Medtronics, or other pacemaker companies. Ask your equipment reps for who sold you the EKG machine.

I feel that event the floor nurse should have a basic understanding. Few years ago a floor let a patient have an MI. Major changes but c/o back pain and not chest pain. If someone had a basic understanding that person would not have lose a lot of heart muscle.

Where can I sign up to get EKG certified? I am in the Lexington, KY area and am new here from the Bay Area, Ca.