Thread: Hi, I'm new and have a few questions

Hi, I\'m new and have a few questions

Hello everyone-
    I'm so glad I found this site, seems like I can find out some good stuff here. I was just informed yesterday that I made into an LPN program starting in August. I'm so thankful and so nervous. Can anyone suggest something I can start reading/studying over the summer to get prepared? I've been out of school for 12 years so everything is going to be new to me. And any other advice that you would like to give, I would be glad to receive! Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Re: Hi, I\'m new and have a few questions

The first thing I would read is a Harlequin romance novel.. All kidding aside.. Take your time and enjoy your summer.. Unless you are very discliplined it might not be worth it.. I think you should just enjoy the time you have left..

JMHO

WR,,, three commas for Becca

As wanderingRN said, "enjoy the time you have left." Sounds like your last few days in the world. Well it may be the last few social days you have left for some time. Study when you get to school. Have fun when your are out!!!!!!!!

Hi all,

I am new to this board and very impressed. I am a 38 year old, married (12 years), mother of 2 little girls (Marjorie 8, Katie 4). I just started last week LVN training at Pacific College in Costa Mesa, CA. Are thier any grads from Pacific (or anywhere for that manner) that could tell me a little bit about what to expect? I would really appretiate any advice.
    Thanks so much,
    Annie [font=Verdana]Text[/f]

[ QUOTE ]
    SophieSugarBear said:
    Can anyone suggest something I can start reading/studying over the summer to get prepared? I've been out of school for 12 years so everything is going to be new to me. And any other advice that you would like to give, I would be glad to receive! Thanks in advance!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello Sophie,

One stumbling block a lot of students have problems with is Math for Pharmacology. Converting cc to drams, calculating drip rates, fractions of medications etc.

You could do yourself a favor by picking up a Math for Pharmacology book and practicing the conversions before you get to class.

Unless you're already good with Math and Numbers, it seems to trip a lot of people up.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursingstudents.com

[ QUOTE ]
    Annie P said:Are thier any grads from Pacific (or anywhere for that manner) that could tell me a little bit about what to expect? I would really appretiate any advice.
    Thanks so much,
    Annie

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello Annie,

Expect to move quickly, to work your tail off on the floors and know you'll need to study your tail off.

Seriously, you do need to do your homework. The more "hands on" time you have the better. If you've never "touched" patients before, you might want to think about working as a Nursing Assistant part-time while you're in school. It will give you an insight and perspective that a lot of Nursing Students wish they had before going into the field.

Best wishes,

Andrew Lopez, RN

I'd say 2 things:

First, nursinghumor is right about the Pharmacology part. That will probably be the most difficult.

Second, when you start DO NOT get discouraged. The first 4-6 weeks will be the hardest. They will try and weed some people out and then things will get better.

If you do your homework, and study, you should be fine. Homework accounts for quite a bit of the overall score so if you do well there, it will help you if you make a bad test grade or two.

Also, the first tests are the easiest ones. Don't slack on them because they are easy. Do your absolute best on the easy ones so that when you get to a hard section, you will have a higher grade on hand to help out with your average.

You'll do fine, everyone is nervous at first. When I started, I had no previous experience in the field whatsoever unless you count watching "ER".

I was freaked out because most of the other students were already familiar or were CNA's or had similar healthcare experience.

In the end, it didn't really matter.

Ditto on taking the time off, you will be glad you did. If you passed you math entry exam, don't worry about it. Conversion rates are used much anymore, pharm and MD has to determine everything before you give something. You do have to double check and you are the last line of defence, but things are done much simpler now. Exact doses are given, IV pumps determine rate. Enjoy your summer!

I have an assignment to get some opinions of nurses crossing the line with patients...anyone have any comments on the subject?

[ QUOTE ]
    kenna said:
    I have an assignment to get some opinions of nurses crossing the line with patients...anyone have any comments on the subject?

[/ QUOTE ]

Which line are you talking about crossing?

Maybe if you post the instructions for the assignment we'll have a better idea what you need.

Andrew Lopez, RN