Thread: Help!

Unhappy Help!

Hi All,

I am a new grad lpn since June. I have been working med-surg since July. I love what I do but hate where I work :mad: and I need different hours due to family matters. I am concerned that I have'nt been a nurse for 6 months and it may hurt to leave a job so soon but the place I work at is dangerous in my oppinion especially for a new nurse. Advice is needed please help:confused: . Thanks in advance.
    lpn614

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Re: Help!

Quote Originally Posted by LPN614
    Hi All,

I am a new grad lpn since June. I have been working med-surg since July. I love what I do but hate where I work :mad: and I need different hours due to family matters. I am concerned that I have'nt been a nurse for 6 months and it may hurt to leave a job so soon but the place I work at is dangerous in my oppinion especially for a new nurse. Advice is needed please help:confused: . Thanks in advance.
    lpn614
    It never hurts to look around - It took me a while to find a facility where I was truely happy but it was well worth the wait. Most hospitals will hire an inexperienced nurse if he/she is will to learn the job. Just start looking around - I found that making personal calls to department directors worked better than just submitting resumes to HR. The reason is they may invite you for an informal interview - then when you go HR they already know and like you.

By all means stay where you are while you are looking! Everyday there is another day of experience - If you feel an assignment is unsafe by all means say so but do it in a professional manner. Most facilities will give you some time to get comfortable with your duties because we all know what happens in Nursing school has almost no resemblance with actual nursing.

good luck

Hppygr8ful

Wink Re: Help!

Hi All,

lpn614
    It will not hurt you to look for a new position in another facility. Having conflicts between your work schedule and home life is nothing new to the nursing profession. As long as you leave your current position in good standing you should have no worries. All of us at one time or another changed jobs because of family conflicts with our work schedule

Hi All,

I am a new grad lpn since June. I have been working med-surg since July. I love what I do but hate where I work :mad: and I need different hours due to family matters. I am concerned that I have'nt been a nurse for 6 months and it may hurt to leave a job so soon but the place I work at is dangerous in my opinion especially for a new nurse. Advice is needed please help:confused: . Thanks in advance.
    lpn614
    My only concern is your present employer is the only nursing job reference you have, correct? If so, be careful not to burn any bridges. However, you have to do what is best for you & your family, as well as your nursing license.

Good luck!
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

I gotta agree that it's best to fill out the exit interview, even if it hurts, you just never know! I did not follow my own advice when I left my last position, and so far I haven't had any problems, but stay on good terms with former employers......

why do you hate WHERE you work?

Hello All,

Thanks for all the responses. The reason I don't like it there is that I feel that it is a very dangerous place. There are more agency there than staff and even a lot of times the employees who have been there a while are nasty, ill tempred and there is no team work. The PCA's disappear off the floors, fight in the middle of the hallways, don't half do their jobs, turn pumps off while performing pt care and don't turn them back on, pt's have been hurt due to negligence but the same people return to work day after day management does nothing about it, charge nurses don' t seem to think it's their job to do anything about it, PCAs flat out refuse to do what is delegated to them even in front of families because "my back hurts" or "I'm tired" or they say they did the job when they did not, and I am the type of person who will help and I always ask if they need help while I am in the room and they deny needing the help or I ask for help in turning pt's or doing the pt care myself but they refuse to help and nothing gets done about it. The place is disorganized and very dirty. During orientation many of the policies were not copied to give to us so when/if ever we have time we can get this huge manual at the nurses station if you can find it and begin reading (yea right). I am a new grad LPN. I really want the med-surg experience but not by risking my license or pt health. I need to go somewhere else and in a hurry.

Ricu

Hello All,

Thanks for all the responses. The reason I don't like it there is that I feel that it is a very dangerous place. There are more agency there than staff and even a lot of times the employees who have been there a while are nasty, ill tempred and there is no team work. The PCA's disappear off the floors, fight in the middle of the hallways, don't half do their jobs, turn pumps off while performing pt care and don't turn them back on, pt's have been hurt due to negligence but the same people return to work day after day management does nothing about it, charge nurses don' t seem to think it's their job to do anything about it, PCAs flat out refuse to do what is delegated to them even in front of families because "my back hurts" or "I'm tired" or they say they did the job when they did not, and I am the type of person who will help and I always ask if they need help while I am in the room and they deny needing the help or I ask for help in turning pt's or doing the pt care myself but they refuse to help and nothing gets done about it. The place is disorganized and very dirty. During orientation many of the policies were not copied to give to us so when/if ever we have time we can get this huge manual at the nurses station if you can find it and begin reading (yea right). I am a new grad LPN. I really want the med-surg experience but not by risking my license or pt health. I need to go somewhere else and in a hurry.
    Hi new grad,

It sounds like you work in long-term care which is plagued with overworked and burned out staff. Your's unfortunately, is not a rare situation. New nurses get eaten alive in those places but most of them do survive. You should at this point be able to apply for and get another nursing job although a year would be better, six months experience is adequate. I would suggest that you try to avoid LTC facilities because you would likely find the same conditions but now you're savy enough to know what to look for. Remember that you're interviewing potential employers just as much as they're interviewing you. Good luck.

R