Thread: new here & need advice/opinions...

Question new here & need advice/opinions...

hi to all! im currently a 4th yr. nursing student in the philippines & hoping to graduate next year...browsing on the net, i came across to this website & thought it might be of help to me...ok so here goes, i read on the cgfns website that you have to be a board certified nurse as part of the requirements aside from the school credentials, however, my mother's friend told her that he did not take the phil. nursing boards & was still able to apply for the cgfns...said he went to an agency & they took care of everything, now he is working in a home care in ny and reviewing for his nclex at the same time, his papers are also in the works...it all makes sense but i just want to double check if i can apply w/o being board certified? any opinions or advice will be appreciated. thanks!

Re: new here & need advice/opinions...

Theodz -- Perhaps I have not understood your post, but if you are interested in practicing in the USA, you will certainly have to secure licensure in your home country first.

The Commission on Graduates of Foriegn Nursing Schools website:
    http://www.cgfns.org/default.shtml
    is quite clear, unless you are LICENSED somewhere -- in some jurisdiction -- you won't be eligible to sit for their exam.

Similarly, NCLEX requires that all candidates FIRST apply for licensure in the state or territory where they wish to practice, then meet all the board of nursing requirements and finally register for the NCLEX exams. I know of no state in the USA where a foriegn graduate can bypass licensure in their home country (or their country of preparation).

I fear your information about the "nurse" now working in homecare may be in error and that the "company" who took care of everything may be profitting from a scam. Don't be taken in, do your homework -- and by all means, sit for your licensing exam in the Philipines as soon as you can!

--p

thanks stillearning! appreciate your response...yes, I will definitely sit for our board exams next year...God Bless!

Quote Originally Posted by stillearning
    Similarly, NCLEX requires that all candidates FIRST apply for licensure in the state or territory where they wish to practice, then meet all the board of nursing requirements and finally register for the NCLEX exams. I know of no state in the USA where a foriegn graduate can bypass licensure in their home country (or their country of preparation).

--p
    I agree here. I have recently returned from New Zealand and have had to apply to sit the LVN exam, and I have completed a two year program at home and have 25 years of experience! Same goes if you go to NZ.