Thread: changing medication times

Anonymous

changing medication times

could someone steer me to an online source to find the answer to this question? I already know the answer, but can't produce it in black and white to prove it. Okay:the physician writes an order for a med to be given qid, but the nurse transcribing the order sets it up for q 6h. I read somewhere that this is rewriting the order and therefore illegal, and this nurse could be charged with practicing medicine without a license. And what about the nurses that give that medicine q 6h? Are they guilty too?
    I go around and around with other nurses on this and they see nothing wrong with this.

Anonymous

Re: changing medication times

If I give a med 0600 1200 1800 2400 isn't that qid??? When would you give it?

WR,,, three commas for Becca

Member Extraordinaire

our hospital has set times for BID, TID, QID then the qX hour times are usually set up from the time the first does is given.
    It is changing the order if the doc orders (verbally, phone) QID then you write Q6 but it's not changing the order if you set up times that are 6 hours apart.
    It also comes down to knowing your meds if things need to go with food then breakfast, lunch, dinner and with bedtime snack. But other things need that spacing.

Anonymous

Yeah Cass I was gonna add that ..That meds need to be given in regards to food.. So the times need to be appropriate...

I haven't written and order on a MAR in ages and the hospital I worked at went computer and the Pharmacy makes the hours....

Where I come from you need to look in your nursing policy manual. Or Pharmacy Manual. Your policy should dictate what times correspond to a QID order and a Q6H order. A nurse is always responsible for following the MD order the way it is written and to call the MD and question it (and to document this) if it looks wrong. The nurse who transcribed the order is neligent. The nurses who gave the med at a time that was not perscribed by the MD are liable as well. It is definitaly a med error

Anonymous

Are you saying 0600 1200 1800 2400 is NOT QID?????