Thread: Entering nursing school: LPN vs RN

Anonymous

Entering nursing school: LPN vs RN

I am trying to decide which I should proceed with..LPN or RN. I am registered to go into either. I really just want to work in a doctor's office not a hospital. Which would pay more and does a doc office really hire that many RN's? I live in Ga if that matters. Thank you!!

Anonymous

Re: Entering nursing school: LPN vs RN

first of all, if you are only in it for the money, you should not be a nurse. second, if you dont know the obvious differences between LPN and RN, you should not be a nurse. thats all.

canadian nurses rule!

Member Extraordinaire

RN's make more then LPN's Hospital nurses make more then Doc office nurses. But a hospital LPN can probably make more then a doc office RN. Some places the walmart greeter can make more then an office nurse
    Depends on what type of MD office you work at what type nurse they have...my kids pediatrician has no nurse on the docs wife to take the TPR and the doc does the rest himself including shots...he also takes NO insurance so he doesn't have to take medical cards you pay him cash and file your own insurance.

I really would strongly encourage you to go on for your RN. I am an LPN and there are very few jobs. Most hospital are trying to go to an all RN nursing staff. Partly that means that the market is flooded with LPNs. The options for RNs are truly limitless. Dr.s, unless it is a very large office, generally hire more LPNs than RNs and have gone to pretty much hiring med techs which is a cross between a Nurse aide and a medical secretary.

Anonymous

I don't know about GA, but FL hospitals are going more towards RN's. The Dr's offices are using Medical Assistants. When I was in the hospital, the LPN's were doing CNA work... vitals, that's it. So, if you want to work in a Dr.'s office either become a RN or a CMA.

Anonymous

I am a LPN and I teach in the CMA program. There is quiet a big difference. LPN's are taught in great depth about drug administration the side effects and classifications of drugs. How to push IV drugs. We also insert foley catheters , do trach care, ostomy care, and can work in the ER L&D , Med surg. We are taught in depth about diseases the process of the disease and symptoms and treatments of the disease including how to use nonpharmaco resources for treatment. Also we are taught a head to toe assessment and are responsible for patients in the hospitals when the physician is not readily available to assist us. We have to assisgn each patient a nursing intervention based on their clinical symptoms and interventions to assist the patient. All CNA's really do is what the docotr orders they are not allowed to assess,plan, or implement anything without the direct order from the physician. They are never allowed to push IV drugs. The knowledge base for the CMA is very broad it is not in detail because the CMA will always work under the direct supervision of another more experienced health care worker. Also the pay sclae is very different.