Thread: O2 guidelines for use on asthmatic in health center

Red face O2 guidelines for use on asthmatic in health center

I am looking for written guidelines on O2 therapy for using in a student health center clinic for asthmatics. My med surg book is like 20 yrss. old and states 2L/min. I think this may be too low with somebody fighting for air in as asthma attack. Anybody out there with a newer nursing standard of O2 therapy and rational. Thanks.

Re: O2 guidelines for use on asthmatic in health center

I would advise you to start with the American Association of Respiratory Care where you will find a number of evidence based guidelines:

http://www.rcjournal.com/online_reso.../cpg_index.asp

--p

Quote Originally Posted by central coast
    I am looking for written guidelines on O2 therapy for using in a student health center clinic for asthmatics. My med surg book is like 20 yrss. old and states 2L/min. I think this may be too low with somebody fighting for air in as asthma attack. Anybody out there with a newer nursing standard of O2 therapy and rational. Thanks.
    At my hospital the MD generally writes for O2 protocol- to keep O2 sat above a certain percentage. If the MD does not specify a certain percentage the RT will use O2 to keep sats above 93%.

Ricu

Hi there,

I realize that you asked specifically about oxygen therapy but hopefully you are looking at more than this in the treatment of asthma. The recommendation to consult the AARC for treatment guidelines is an excellent one. I would add the American Lung Association and the American Academy of Chest Physicians to that list. Keep in mind that a student presenting to the clinic with an asthma attack and low oxygen saturations needs to go to the emergency department immediately. Oxygen may be helpful but use it while transporting this student to the hospital in an ambulance. Hypoxemia is a very late sign and suggestive of impending respiratory arrest. About ten years ago, I read a study that showed an alarming rise in asthma related deaths among young people. Foremost among the recommendations was education and proper medication. I was a respiratory therapist for many years before I went into critical care nursing and saw where education, proper medication regemins and lifestyle changes made many asthmatics virtually symptom free. Good luck.

R