Thread: Nursing in America

Smile Nursing in America

Hi all,I am an irish nurse who's been thinking alot recently about relocating to the US.I obtained my diploma in general adult nursing in Ireland and I then moved to Scotland and obtained BN mental health nursing and I am now hoping to do my Masters after the New Year.
    Being bluntly honest I am feeling that Ive put alot of time and energy into my career and now that Im on the payrole I feel like just another number and Im more and more feeling like there is no thanks or support in my line of work.So to(finally) get to the point...I want a change!Id really appreciate any advise that anyone could give me about working in the US...Californa in particular seems the appeal to me.Im starting from the beginning so information on registering in Californa,healthcare,wages,general relocation advise,Nclex etc...any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

Re: Nursing in America

Hi Dimc! I would post the same question under the state of California here in the Forum since that is your choice state so far. I think nurses that live or have worked there could help you better with your questions. All I know is that California is a very expensive state to live in, but their nursing wages are somewhat higher compared to the other states -- to make up somehow for the cost of living. Good luck to you!

dimc -- come to Minnesota instead!

With your ability to withstand Ireland's and Scotland's winters, you'd fit right in here and you'd love our lakes and our summers!

You've taken all the right steps for a start. When you DO come to work here (or in California) be most careful whom you choose to work for. Do as much homework inspecting the reputation of your potential employer as you do to prepare yourself for licensure here -- or you may end up feeling like a number again!

I would encourage you to consider joining a nursing specialty organization of your choice before you move to America. Make friends with nurses in that association (Cancer Nurses, Operating Room Nurses, Pediatric Nurses, etc.) and they will guide you through the chaos that can be found in searching for a good position.

America is a fabulous place to practice nursing. There are many opportunities but they are not equally distributed! Be sure to look for a place where you can support yourself on your income (the previous poster was right, wages ARE good in CA, but housing costs can be intimidating!) and be sure to find a facility that takes good care of its staff!

One way to do that is to see if the hospital (if that is the work you choose) has the Magnet Recognistion designation. A "Magnet" hospital would be a good place to start -- then, interview nurses who work there!

We welcome you -- whenever you arrive!

--p

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Welcome to the site! One word of advice....California takes a while to get your license out. The contact information for the Board of nursing is posted in that Forum; perhaps if you write them/go to the website, you can obtain more information. However, you will find that hospitals will help 'petition' you if you have passed the NCLEX test. California, however, requires a Social Security Number. Perhaps starting in a different state would help first.....

'Cat'