Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new career move...

new career move...

Hello, I know i'm posting another topic on career change but I didn't want to hi-jack av8orguy's thread.

I am 25yrs old, so a couple of years out of school. I graduated College with a degree in Biology, decent grades (not applying myself) and I now work in Finance. I started off with a finance company and was promoted to branch manager for 1.5yrs and I'm now a Mortgage loan officer for another company. I'm looking at trying to become a (CRNA) Certified Regisitered Nurse Anesthetist. And my main drive is for the money. My mother and grandmother are both RN's so I've been around the enviroment all my life. MY main questions are, short of meeting with an admissions advisor, what all is involved in me becoming an RN? I Know schooling but would my previous degree save me on a lot of the prereq's? From what I have gathered the process would involve me becoming an RN, at least 1yr ICU/ER work, then apply for CNRA program of 24-36 months depending on the program.

The bottom line is I have the POTENTIAL (key word) to make the same amount of money at my current job, but it's a lot of calling and to be honest it's almost like cold calling, except for it's current customer leads. 100k+ is really appealing to me AND I love science/biology work.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated, I have been tossing this idea around for about two weeks now and I've discussed it with my Fiance` and she's very supportive as is my mother. Thanks!

Re: new career move...

no replies or thoughts? :confused:

how about this anyone know how much malpractice insurance runs?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Malpractice WILL run a bit more; call a few insurance companies. Try CNA for starts.

Lightbulb Re: new career move...

"The bottom line is I have the POTENTIAL (key word) to make the same amount of money at my current job, but it's a lot of calling and to be honest it's almost like cold calling, except for it's current customer leads. 100k+ is really appealing to me AND I love science/biology work."

I will not lie, being a RN has allowed me the opportunity to travel and work overseas. Never would I have imagined when I graduated that I would work in Australia yet alone relocating back for the second time. Being a RN can be a very challenging job, physically, mentally and emotionally. I have had patients tell me that they can tell when a nurse is in it because she (or he) loves the profession and cares about others or is in it to make a quick buck.

Quote Originally Posted by kimmiejs
    "The bottom line is I have the POTENTIAL (key word) to make the same amount of money at my current job, but it's a lot of calling and to be honest it's almost like cold calling, except for it's current customer leads. 100k+ is really appealing to me AND I love science/biology work."

I will not lie, being a RN has allowed me the opportunity to travel and work overseas. Never would I have imagined when I graduated that I would work in Australia yet alone relocating back for the second time. Being a RN can be a very challenging job, physically, mentally and emotionally. I have had patients tell me that they can tell when a nurse is in it because she (or he) loves the profession and cares about others or is in it to make a quick buck.

Don't get me wrong, I love people and helping people. I do it everyday in my current job. I change peoples lives forever, and it's an amazing feeling. And when I'm in a job that there's a possibility of that person dying because of my actions I will be on point, trust me.

Red face Re: new career move...

Quote Originally Posted by Malenurse53
    Don't get me wrong, I love people and helping people. I do it everyday in my current job. I change peoples lives forever, and it's an amazing feeling. And when I'm in a job that there's a possibility of that person dying because of my actions I will be on point, trust me.
    Nursing is unlike any other profession, compassion is at the core of nursing. As long as your heart is in the right place, you will make an excellent nurse. I hope all works out well for you.

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by Malenurse53 View Post
    Hello, I know i'm posting another topic on career change but I didn't want to hi-jack av8orguy's thread.

I am 25yrs old, so a couple of years out of school. I graduated College with a degree in Biology, decent grades (not applying myself) and I now work in Finance. I started off with a finance company and was promoted to branch manager for 1.5yrs and I'm now a Mortgage loan officer for another company. I'm looking at trying to become a (CRNA) Certified Regisitered Nurse Anesthetist. And my main drive is for the money. My mother and grandmother are both RN's so I've been around the enviroment all my life. MY main questions are, short of meeting with an admissions advisor, what all is involved in me becoming an RN? I Know schooling but would my previous degree save me on a lot of the prereq's? From what I have gathered the process would involve me becoming an RN, at least 1yr ICU/ER work, then apply for CNRA program of 24-36 months depending on the program.

The bottom line is I have the POTENTIAL (key word) to make the same amount of money at my current job, but it's a lot of calling and to be honest it's almost like cold calling, except for it's current customer leads. 100k+ is really appealing to me AND I love science/biology work.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated, I have been tossing this idea around for about two weeks now and I've discussed it with my Fiance` and she's very supportive as is my mother. Thanks!

Hi there,

You seem to have the nuts and bolts of what educational requirements there are and through your mother and grandmother, have an idea of what nursing is. The aspect of your potential career change that I want to comment on is that year or two that you would need to work in critical care after becoming an RN and before entering the CRNA program.

You should know that very few new RNs are ready for this level of practice right away and really need a few years in general nursing first especially, if they have no prior healthcare experience. You can expect to earn about half of what your goal income is during this time and it's highly unlikely that you will be able to work at all while in anesthesia school. This will be two FULL years including spring and summer. If there are no delays in your schooling, passing boards, earning certifications and getting nursing jobs, you can realisitically expect your transition from loan officer to CRNA to take 8 years.

Anesthesia is a technically complex and intense practice and is also very different from traditional nursing. If you're willing to work through those levels to finally arrive at your desired position, you will learn just how different they are. To begin your research, I would recommend contacting several nearby hospitals and making arrangements to job shadow some nurses who work in the various fields that you are interested in. Do this several times and really pick their brains. You may also ask them about trade journals and consider subscribing. It's a great immersion method.

Good luck and stay in touch. Let us know what you decide.

R

Hi,

I'm an RN with my BSN. As one of your replies stated, there's more than just the 1 year in a critical care area. I work in Surgery as a circulator. Although, surgery is different than most nursing, I am thankful I have my years of floor experience. One has to learn how to properly assess a patient without text book instruction. The text book is only a beginners tool. Nothing can beat experience. All the CRNA's I know had years in ICU before going on to anesthesia.

If you are thinking of this for the money only, it isn't worth your time and expense to pursue what you are thinking about.

The OR is a tough place to work with tough people.

Good Luck. NL

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

One of my classmates from school is going on for her CRNA; worked ER for at least a year. One also has to consider the GPA, and applying for schools, etc.

More people die on Monday morning than any other day of the week. At 9am actually. -Deepak Chopra

Reason: Lack of purpose in life. Lack of meaning, and a failure to be able to render and design their lives. I am wondering if EITHER ONE of these career fields are for you.

As far as loan officers go. I have a buddy who is doing cash back loans at closing and will be retiring in 3 years. he's a total flake, but has found a way to inflate property values and talk crap, and give people $10k back at closing for refurbishing. He says it isnt a scam but other realtors think differently. Regardless he has banked over $300 k in the last year. So again . back to Deepak.. WHAT IS "YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE? Mentioning the purpose concept in a nursing forum is like a turd in a punchbowl ( see jungian personalitys) / people who cannot think out of the box. You need to re-tapestrate what your calling is....go back to the rainforest of your mind.. rent the movie AMERICAN BEAUTY.. and sift through it..........BECOME your dream and design your life. 90% of medical personell do not have such thoughts..........something to think about eh.

We all sit in a circle and suppose.. while the secret sits in the center. and KNOWS - Robert Frost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast