Thread: future oncology nurse .................need advice???

future oncology nurse .................need advice???

hi,
    my name is Jack
    i am a nursing student
    i want to work on oncology floor.
    do any of you know what are the processes to prepare myself before i can actually work on the oncology floor?

thanks a lot

Re: future oncology nurse .................need advice???

Check out the oncology nursing website Oncology Nursing Society
    You should consider taking an oncology nursing course which includes biology of cancer and chemotherapy drugs. Finally you can also check out new grad programs at hospitals that have oncology units.
    Good luck. It's a rewarding career.

Well, I have done clinicals on an oncology floor and done some intern work on several too, but my opinion is from a different perspective. My mother was dx'ed with Cancer in 2001, in 2005 they termed in terminal giving her 4-6 mths, she is still here, but we have had our experiences on the floor. It for sure takes a special kind of nurse to be able to deal with it. Also, typically a lot of pt's are in a lot of pain obviously, and if they have been dealing with cancer for a while their tolerance for pain meds will be increased. So, it's a transition going from say an ER nurse where you roll your eyes and assume its a drug seeker that asks for pain meds every 2 hours. The pt's on the oncology floor are in pain, and more than likely their tolerance is increased, and one main goal is to just keep them comfortable. :luck:

Also, take into cosideration that many cancers are viral in nature. Something to think about before you commit to oncology. If it is you life's passion, I wish you all the luck.