Thread: Out on a limb

Out on a limb

Well I was going to let my wife start this but it's 0100 in the morn Dec. 29, 2006 and she's asleep and I'm wide awake. So here Goes.

My wife is an RN and has been for 28 years.We have been married going on 20 of those years. We are from Houston, Texas. Her a 25 year transplant from Boston and me a natural born Texan.

Anyway She recently answered an add for nurses in the Phoenix, Arizona area. It was of course a placement agency. After sending documents back and forth and answering a lot of questions the agency said she had the job. She asked if it was for sure as she had just been offered a job in Houston at less pay. She was told yes and we started preparing to make the move. She turned down the Houston job as we really did want to make the move. I started getting box's and shut down my bussiness turning down a couple of nice contracts myself. Then things seemed to bog down and then the agency calls and the sure thing had gone south. Reasoning was that she had a lack of current hospital experience. Which she had told them up front was the case. She had just spent the last year in a cast from a broken Arm (sorry dont know the tech.term) right under her shoulder that would not heal properly. The break came at the time that she was starting to get back into the work force from her time off( HA HA) to care for her father who had Alzhiemers. 4 plus years she was the 24-7 caregiver for him up to the day he died.
    As I said she did not try to hide it. She came right out and let them know she was out of the loop for a long time and her computer skills were weak. Any way she didn't get the job after all. We cussed some and I sent a nasty Email to the recruiter (lot of good that did)
    We still wanted to make the move if we could so she called another agency that she had applied to and that had responded.
    She got the Job and the agency helped to get us moved (HA HA)
    They were going to arrange for a house for us and we had picked out several that were close to the hospital where she would be working and in a price range we felt comfortable with.
    The Day we are loading the truck, in fact it was 95% loaded at about 10 at night the recruiter calls and says the house we were to get was all of a sudden not available. NOT available!!! I blew my stack we were pulling out in the morning I had allready put in the change of address to the post office and to family and friends.
    The recruiter says he will get something and contact us on the road (thank god for cell phones).Please understand we had provided him with a list of houses that we had found via the internet.
    Well he found us a house. He said it was actually bigger (NOT) than the one we lost, had a bigger (NOT) yard and was very close to the hospital. (As the crow flies maybe) and it was out of our price range. Unfortunatly when we found this all out we were in the town of Surprise, Arizona on a Saturday morning with 9 birds, 1 dog, and a tank of fish that I had to get back into their aquarium soon. I wanted to turn right around and head back to Houston but of course as everyone knows a marraige is a democratic institute. I vote, she votes, and she breaks all ties.
    so\\So here we are. Story finished right???? WRONG!!

My wife was let go today, or I should say was offered the chance to resign. Why??:confused: You can guess!! She wasn't up to speed!! and it just wasn't working out. You might say well they knew this at the start!! It was in her resume, she told the recruiter she had been out of the loop for a while. She didn't try to hide the fact!!! AH!!! But the recruiter did.:mad: As it turns out the HR peaple at the hospital never received her complete resume. Only cut out bits and peices and they never bothered to Ask my wife for a complete one and of course she never offered believing they all ready had one.

So now here we are sitting in a house we didn't wan't paying more than we wanted to pay so far out west of Phoenix that some people and companies don't even recognize the ZIP code and now we owe the Hospital somthing in the range of $7500.00 we do not have, and a third of that was deducted for income tax.

Merry Christmas and a Happy F:mad: :mad: :mad: New Year!!!!
    Sorry don't ussually cuss but there is allways the exception to the rule.

Oh yeah there is a bright side! Those contracts I turned down were with my best client and He gave them to me anyway. I just email everything to him when I am done. That will just about pay the hospital back, if I don't pay the tax's on it that is!!!

Re: Out on a limb

Sounds like you need to seek legal counsel with a suit against this recruiting agency, and you should also have your lawyer look to see if there are other cases similar to yours. Unfortunately, agencies are known to do this, and I have been on the wrong side myself, having had an employee sent to me with "excellent experience," which turned out to be a lie. This nurse needed to be baby-sat constantly, and was far more of a hazard to the patients and the hospital than a benefit. Not saying your wife is like this nurse by any means, but that was the side I got from the agency. And this nurse also had a major "aversion" to the truth, which on more than one occasion resulted in bad patient outcomes. Remember, that recruiter is only in this for the $$$$, and your wife and you have been abused for their personal interests and financial gain.

Good Luck!! Sorry to hear about your predicament.
    RN, BSN, PCCN, ACLS-EP Instructor