Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A few suggestions

Re: questions

My friend and I were just reading through the posts and she gasped when she read that an RN is going to take 20 ANYTHING an hour as a traveler! She is working for Nationwide Nurses and based on her experience she is making in the mid $30/hr range. Also her company secures the housing for her, so she doesn't have to enter into any lease, that is their job. She recommends for anyone that is getting their own apartment, NOT to get it until all the i's have been dotted and all the t's crossed on the contract from the hospital, the agency, AND the nurse! You never know when an assignment is going to fall through at the last minute and then you could be stuck with a lease you don't need or want.

Re: questions

I'm strongly considering travel nursing, but I don't know what to expect as far as work load and how much is expected of you. I only have 2 years of experience and both years have been on a progressive cardiac care unit (telemetry step-down). Can anyone give me some words of wisdom or some good advice please? Thanks.

Question Re: A few suggestions

Hi, This is off topic, but i was wondering has anyone worked for a company called Supplemental Health. I am a Psych Nurse and was considering traveling with them. I'm having second thoughts because i was told they pay TEN dollars per hour!!!!!This of course sounded rediculous, but the recruiter promises 3466 per month for housing and its tax free??Plus 125 per week living expenses.ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS COMPANY??PLEASE LET ME KNOW THE PROS & CONS :confused:Thanx Denise

Re: A few suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by maryongo
    Here's a few tips that I've picked up along the way regarding housing:
    1) As soon as you get the housing address and phone, make a call yourself and talk to the apartment manager. Verify the mileage to the hospital, ask the fastest route, double-check the amenities offered, and ask if there's a website that you can visit. If not, they may have a brochure that they can send you.
    2) Call the local police department to find out about the safety of the area you'll be living in.
    3) If other travelers are in that complex, have your recruiter give them your phone number to contact you. Ask them how they like the place.
    4) If you find that there is something major wrong with the place, speak to your recruiter immediately so they can get to work on remedying the situation.

Doing a bit of the footwork yourself can save you a lot of aggravation when you get to your assignment.
    Good tips. Thanks!

Arrow Re: A few suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by RNLADY64
    Hi, This is off topic, but i was wondering has anyone worked for a company called Supplemental Health. I am a Psych Nurse and was considering traveling with them. I'm having second thoughts because i was told they pay TEN dollars per hour!!!!!This of course sounded rediculous, but the recruiter promises 3466 per month for housing and its tax free??Plus 125 per week living expenses.ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS COMPANY??PLEASE LET ME KNOW THE PROS & CONS :confused:Thanx Denise

I am planning on going on my first assignment with Supplemental Health. My recruiter explained to me that the $10/hr is your taxable earnings, so that when you get your W2 it will show your taxable earnings to be only 25K a year. Only your 'official' hourly wage and your bonus payments are taxed. My recruiter explained to me that virtually all the money you earn will be tax-free since you'll probably get back all taxes paid in your tax refund. They also pay a weekly meal and lodging allowance (MLA) usually between $650-1200/week tax-free depending on where you go.
    I'd also appreciate some feedback from nurses that have travelled with Supplemental Health. Is it a good deal compared to some other companies?
    Ron

Great suggestions!! I'm definetely going to apply them on my next assignment.
    Thanks,
    Jeru

I wouldn't work for $20/hr. Call Reginald Helms at All Health Staffing. He's wonderful.

Map Quest could tell you the mileage to the hospital also

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12