Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Unionizing Texas RNs

Smile Re: Unionizing Texas RNs

1st off on the untruths can go both ways unions are only as strong as your voting members. mebers ratify the contracts. same with bonuses and other benifiets provided by the employer. 2nd in Texas under Texas law any person has the right to join any union, organization, association or like mind professional and have that group represent them. Unions if run by the members are good. Rember that one and you are right you must vote every employee must vote. "A man with out a vote is a man with out a voice" President Lyndon Johnson. RN's in Texas need protection and need to be free to be patient advocates. There is but one group, association, or union working with RN's on this matter and it is the National Nurses Organizing Committee. You all want more information come and see NNOC members and RNs testify at a public hearing in Mesquite Texas Aug. 15th at 10 am. here are the details.

Dallas Fort Worth Concerned Citizens Panel ■ 2504 W. Park Row Suite B5, Box 128 Pantego, TX. 76013 ■ dfwccp@gmail.com

Are Dallas and Fort Worth Hospitals Safe?

Is Profit Placed Before Care?

Does Your Hospital Have Safe Ratios?

If you can not answer all three of these questions then you and your family need to come to the public hearing on safe nurse to patient ratios. Dallas Fort Worth Concerned Citizens Panel is holding an open public hearing on the issues of safe nurse to patient ratios to answer the three questions above and to openly discuss this issue.
    The organizations invited to provide testimony are The Texas Hospital Association, Dallas County Hospital Board, Tarrant County Hospital Board, Dallas Regional Health Center Mesquite, National Nurses Organizing Committee, RNs, and Both Dallas and Tarrant County Commissioners Courts. The National Nurses Organizing Committee and several area RNs have accepted the invitation to testify and will testify at this hearing on safe-patient ratios. It is important for citizens to show up and hear the testimony and why our hospitals are unsafe. Citizens are welcome to submit testimony on problems they or their family has had at hospitals.

Come hear why RNs are in constant threat of termination for simply standing up on behalf of their patients in the name of providing the best quality care.

The Hearing will convene at 10 am on Aug. 15th 2007 at 1527 North Galloway Drive in Mesquite, Texas at the Mesquite Fine Arts Center. The Panel will take testimony from 10am-1pm at the latest and the will deliberate for until around 2 pm and render an opinion. During panel deliberations, Registered Nurses and NNOC Representatives will take questions and comments in a town-hall style public forum. This will be an excellent opportunity for the public, Nurses, and the NNOC to examine ways in which we can make sure that patients get the optimal care that they deserve.

Vice Chair Harriet Irby DFW Citizens Panel

Re: Unionizing Texas RNs

Nurses you all have a voice stand up and be counted and heard.

Nurses it is time to stand and fight. Do you want safe ratios?????? Then show up and fight for them Aug. 15th at 10 am 1527 Galloway Rd. in Mesquite.

Nurses you have one a victory for safe Nurse to patient ratios in Texas. A Public Panel voted in favor of safe nurse to patient ratios in Texas hospitals

Can minutes or transcript available for this meeting?

Yes and the whole hearing will be airing on DCCTV and on the web at Calnurses.org nnoc.net and at dcctv.org and the schedules will be posted here. for all nurses to watch. Plus there will be a weekly Healthcare Talk show hosted by Dallas NNOC members airing as well as a voice for RNs.

Thumbs up Re: Unionizing Texas RNs

I have friends in several different places in the country who are RNs just like me. They have worked in Texas other states, too.

They all say they liked nursing in Texas best! They have told horrible stories about union problems and strange regulations preventing a nurse from provinding quality care.

I would never join a union and I would never strike. This isn't waitressing at Hooters, if we don't provide care, people can die.

If you don't like the way things are where you work, give your two weeks notice and quit. Let HR know what you don't like. If this happens enough, they will get the idea. However, if you are never happy, no matter where you are working, perhaps the problem isn't with the hospitals.

Thumbs up Re: Unionizing Texas RNs

..... A UNION WINS ONE !..... , A UNION WINS ONE

Quote Originally Posted by Enerjan View Post
    I am an RN here in Texas fighting for new legislature to be passed with manditory ratios, whistleblowing protection (we have none), and the right to be a patient advocate without fear of retaliation. I have never practiced anywhere but Texas, but was introduced to a whole new life during a rally in California. Or bill did not pass the legislature, didn't even make it out of committee, but we, as Texas nurses have fianlly found our voice, and we will not be so easy to shut up. I am interested in your feedback concerning unions, as I have never been a member. I do know that if we want to keep our job, we have been forced to take unsafe patient assignments, and pray that no one is injured. The Safe Harbor that we have in Texas is pretty worthless. If a nurse claims Safe Harbor, not only are they chastised by managers, there is a 7 page form to be filled out, front and back, by the nurse, and then SHE is reviewed!! It also states that you are only protected if YOU don't cause injury during your shift of unsafe staffing. There is NO agency to report to here. It is reported to the hospital,reviewed by the hospital, and the BNE of Texas. The Texas Nurses Assoc, who by the way DOES NOT support our bill, keeps talking about the "nursing shortage" as the reason for high nurseatient ratios, but if that's true, why is it that when the census is low, we are cancelled!! Low, by their standards is 4:1. We have begun to inform the public of why it takes so long to answer their call light. We were not "allowed" to tell them it was because we had 6 other patients, so they just thought we didn't care, or were taking a coffee break. But I refuse to be silent any longer, job or no!!
    I am new here to the forum and have found this to be very true. I too work in Texas where we have no say so on how many patients we get stuck with, I have had up to 12 patients one night with a LVN and we had to do it all.. and when we did have a CNA all she did was the vitals and then goes back to sitting in the break room... I got so fed up that I told her to go when she was always late.... and could not help us in other areas like turning and cleaning and answering lights... I have worked for unions and was a member but in another field... if it will work for nursing I dont know... safe harbor is a joke and when a nurse did fill it out she was let go... so now we are down one more nurse..

Just Tired

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast