Thread: ADD, Depression, & Nursing

Question ADD, Depression, & Nursing

Just wondering what restrictions there are on taking medications while working as a nurse. What types of things can you take and what can't you take??

I have ADD & Depression and I'm on Dexedrine & Cymbalta. Neither have a negative affect on my nursing performance, if anything the dexedrine keeps me focused to provide the best possible care I can, but it is a controlled substance. Is there anything illegal about being on these types of meds and being a nurse??

Any info would be appreciated!!!
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: ADD, Depression, & Nursing

There shouldn't be a problem, IMHO. As long as you have a valid prescription, you'd be covered on the positive urine test.

'Cat'

Hi all,

Nothing personal, but on experience of my friends, having a perscription for narcs and coming up pos for narcs is TWO completely different things! The Mississippi Board of Nursing does not seem to differntiate between having a drug problem and testing pos for narcs with or without a script... Just be careful. Look at what the state board has done is the past as they are likely to repeat it!

Good luck and Gods speed,

clem

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Need I say be honest with the job about the Meds? Clem, this is NOT about 'doing drugs'; LTC has a valid point. Being honest that she is being treated for a specific ailment is the best policy.

:endof:

'Cat'

When I started my job I had to fill out a medical form and it asked about medications and I was honest. The DON simply asked if I had things under control and I said yes and no further questions were asked. I just would like to be sure this is legally ok and not just something my facility is ok with.

I dont see why being on medication that helps with your mental illness should be a problem. I mean its not like nurses are perfect and dont have anything wrong with them psychologically. If that were true, I dont think there would be much nurses around since may would be layed off for taking a medication to help with stress, depression...

As long as you have a valid prescription there shouldn't be a problem on a drug screen. Just be sure to disclose it before you take the pee test. I can't imagine that the board of nursing would have a problem with your taking a prescribed med in the proper way especially if you can provide clinical documentation. After all, that's what will keep you giving the best patient care.
    Michelle RN-BSN, CSW
    ER - 1 year
    Peds - 8 years
    PACU - just starting