Thread: Long shifts vs. 8 hours

Question Long shifts vs. 8 hours

Hi all,

My nurse friend told me that now nurses work full time by putting in 3 long shifts a week, rather than the old 8's five days per week. She likes it for her family situation.

What advantages do you find this method to have, for your selves and your work?

Thanks!

Ricu

Re: Long shifts vs. 8 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Crouse View Post
    Hi all,

My nurse friend told me that now nurses work full time by putting in 3 long shifts a week, rather than the old 8's five days per week. She likes it for her family situation.

Thanks!
    Twelve hour shifts are not new to the healthcare system and in fact, eight hour shifts are in the minority. I think that the full time but three day workweek is the reason that the long shifts are so common and personally, I wouldn't work five days a week again. There has been some criticism that the higher fatigue level of such a work day promotes increases error frequency. I suppose there may be some truth to this but I think the nurse eventually acclimates. Additionally, I think there are advantages in terms of streamlining patient care over two shifts instead of three.

R

Red face Re: Long shifts vs. 8 hours

When I first started out as a nurse we were working 8 hour shifts, 5 days a week. When we switched to 12 hours shifts 3 days a week it was better for the home life. Afterall who wants to deal with work 5 days when you can do it in 3??? Those 12 hour shifts are long, very long at times and I can honestly say that in 15 years I've worked more shifts without a lunchbreak than with but I would never work in a hospital 5 days a week again.

In the ICU setting I prefer the 12 hr shift for several reasons. If, you have a very busy patient it is nice to have a 12 hr shift, rather than 8 hr shift. I find myself not getting caught up with my charting and various other task until after 1500 on a 7a-7p shift. Whereas, on an 8 hr shift a nurse may have to stay past 1500 to get caught up on charting. Also, like previously mentioned two shifts in a 24 hour period may be better for continuity of care.

Plus, I'll admit the extra days off are much appreciated, too.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Hello, My name is Crystal and I have 2 yrs Nursing experience on the med-surg floor. I can say that 12 hour shifts are very long and stressful for me. I am completely exhausted on my days off and I am wondering if I will be able to do this for much longer. I can see if you have no kids but with 5 kids at home. I do not like 12 hour shifts

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

I worked 12's for 3 years on a pm shift which I found very tiring and stressful. I believe that it played a part in a breakdown that I suffered that culminated in a suicide attempt. I am now well and whole and working 8hour shifts in a psych facility. I work M-F 7a to 1530. I am home every afternoon to help my boy with homework and to cook dinner. Plus I never work weekends which means I'm off when my family is off - so we get to do things together as a family. I for one will never go back to 12 hour shifts if I can help it. Of course psych nursing is not for the faint of heart - I've been hit (once), spit on, called every explitive known etc..... And that's from the patients. I regularly have up to 18 high acuity psych under my direct supervision, but I do like these patients.

Hppygr8ful

Foxy, I am very sorry to hear that 8 hour shifts are disrupting your home life. Some hospitals do have 8 hour shifts albeit more sporadically and mostly part time work. Maybe you could go per diem. Don't let this sour you on our great profession.

Everyone else... I love 12 hour shifts! Better continuity of care, more time to fit in procedures and less chance of things "falling through the cracks." I normally work 7-8 12 hour shifts every 2 weeks. While it may not be for everyone, I work all of mine in a row. Then I get a mini-vacation every 2 weeks (7 days off).

Tonight is the last of an 8 day stretch. Everyone have a good one!

:smoking2:

Quote Originally Posted by Crouse View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks!
    LOL, my wife & I are split on this very issue. BTW, we are both RNs. She prefers 8 hr shifts so the rest of the day is available for free time, or whatever. Plus, she is really beat after a 12 hr shift, which ends up being 13 hrs usually.

I prefer 12 hr shifts to have more days off during the week. Plus, I usually don't get caught up with all my charting to around 1530, so I enjoy the 12 hr shifts. However, it is true that after a 12 hr shift the day is gone regards to after work.

All about personal preference. I do think continuity of care is better with 12 hr shifts.

Oops, I posted in this thread back in 1/20/2007. Well, at least I'm consistant and this is a good one to keep alive.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Member Extraordinaire

I do the 12 hours also and prefer them to the 8 hours for the more days off reason. My boss is also great with schedules for the most part and I can work 3 days have 4 off then next week have 4 off and work 3 (8 off in a row) without taking a vacation day or take those 2nd 3 off get schedule 4 off so it ends up using 3 vacation days and getting 15 days off for the price of 3.
    I also live almost 30 miles from work (pretty rural drive so 30-45 minutes depending on time of day to drive) but as said before I don't have much time on days I do work get up between 5 & 5:30 leave by 6:10 get to work about 6:45 work until 7:30 pm then get home about 8:15 so less then 4 hours to do things I need if I want to be in bed before midnight...my unit is down to only 2 nurses working 8 hour shifts on a routine basis everyone is 12 now.