Thread: THIS is too much!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

THIS is too much!

Thought that this should be posted. What the heck happened, and how can ya miss it?

Re: THIS is too much!

:39: What's too much? Where's the link? You're a tease!:whipping:
    Michelle RN-BSN, CSW
    ER - 1 year
    Peds - 8 years
    PACU - just starting

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Hope this works: Lawsuit Settled Over Towel Left In Chest Don't know WHAT happened! :39:

'Cat'

OR towels commonly do not have anything radiopaque in them. Nor are they a counted item usually.

There are surgeons that want to use them for packing during open cases.

When a towel is wauded/rolled up, it's pretty compact. When it's soaked with blood, it can visually blend in with surrounding organs.

If you think it still can't happen, try this: fold a regular kitchen cloth towel (or flour sack towel) in half, then fold in the same direction one more time. Roll that into a tight roll. Soak it with water. Ring it out while still in the tight roll. It's more compact now when wet. Now picture a pt. that is 200-300 lbs. having this put inside, and you get a better idea of how things get left it when someone doesn't keep track of them.

Best practice is to offer one or two 18 x 36 lap sponges instead of a towel, one because the lap sponges are counted, and two, they have that radiopaque tape. If a towel is used, someone needs to call out "TOWEL GOING IN" when it's going in, and "TOWEL COMING OUT" when the towel comes out.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][U][B]Marie[/B][/U], RN in O.R, pursuing BSN, semester [U]?[/U] of [U]?[/U]:)[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]Supposedly 8 out of 10 people suffer from hemorrhoids. Does that mean that the other 2 people [I]enjoy[/I] them???:confused:[/B][/FONT]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT][/B]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]My little peapod has arrived :).[/FONT][/B]

probably had no bearing on her death, but you can't be leaving stuff inside people after you sew them up. :iwin:

Member Extraordinaire

we only use laps and raytecs which are all counted. True I only do c-sections, tubals & D&Cs. One hospital I work at our count sheet with the exact number (3 counts) goes in the chart at the other it just has count correct and the name of the tech and nurse that counted but never the number of items there were they go with the prepacked list then you write in number of added sharps per MD preference sheets then that count tally goes in the trash after the case.