Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's called Single-Payer Healthcare

Smile It's called Single-Payer Healthcare

:2confused: by corporate, small business,and the far right .......... http://www.calnurse.org/healthcare/

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Re: It's called Single-Payer Healthcare

While single payer healthcare is a good idea on paper I still contend that most Americans would be unwilling to give up 50-65% of their income in the taxes that would be required to pay for it. Also I have friends in Europe who tell me that family members have waited years for Gallbladder and other surgeries, and incredibly long lines in clinics for all basic healthcare. Also since Physicians will earn far less and still have to pay high malpractice insurance many will leave practice and fewer will go into it. I don't pretend to know what the solution is but single-payer healthcare is far from a perfect solution.

hppy

Not sure at this point which way I am swaying, but after reading that article, my mind was not made up. To me, it seemed purely politically motivated. Looking at in a broader context, it was one political party bashing the other. No where in that article did I read any "bad" things about single-payer. Are they saying that there is only good involved with single-payer and corporate is th worse thing that has happened to the US. I pay for my healthcare out of pocket, and if I were asked to give up a percentage of my income, I would quit my job.....I'm not working for my health (literally).

Wink Re: It's called Single-Payer Healthcare

Try this garment for size..... :rolleyes: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...400496_pf.html

I guess my position rests on the work ethic I was raised on. My dad and my grandfather used to say "It's an eat what you kill world" Meaning you get what you work for. I know there are truely some folks who can't work but for the most part the balance are people who have been taught that they don't have to work because the government will tax the hard working to pay for social programs that benefit those with out the drive to work. I pay over a $900.00 a month for a family HMO through my work I'm happy to do it because I was raised that way - society needs to stop looking for a handout.
    Just a vent - sorry if it offends

Hppy

Smile Re: It's called Single-Payer Healthcare

Lets get real sweetie.......... http://www.calnurse.org/media-center...temID=29388848 :luck:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it those countries that have the national system that wait long periods of time for surgeries that may not be deemed "emergent" (ie. gall bladder)? Do we have to wait until surgeries get to that point rather than take care of the problem ahead of time. With concern to people no longer having preventive care, alot of those people do not use those benefits now as it is. What is the cutoff point of "upper class" that will be taxed more to compensate for those that do not have much? I do not want to be taxed more than I already am!

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and his former fatherland, Austria is where everyone is covered......... eeing: eeing: eeing: http://www.calnurse.org/media-center...temID=29317721

It's called Single-Payer Healthcare, not socialized medicine. As nurses, we can't be fooled by Big Insurance's phony front groups with dirty tricks who have fear mongering sound bites. We already have a government payer, called Medicare. Ever hear any of their clients having to wait months to have gall bladder surgery? And no government adminsistrator has ever been paid a billion dollars in compensation, either. Nurses need to become educated about real health care reform and single payer, and show leadership in explaining to the public why this will make health care more affordable and available. No other industrialized nation has such a stupid system. What we really need is actually more of a health orientation with a variety of health professionals offering care, and less dependence on the outmoded, expensive and overly controlled medical model of care. Are you ready to get involved in the discussion? This could be the opportunity for nurses to take the lead in health payer reform!

I agree that the current system is corrupt and stupid and third party payer system is just an invite for greedy corporations. However I again state that most American's won't be willing to foot the bill. You asked what the cut off was. If you look at US Census Statistics you will find that if you make more than $60,000 a year, you are in the top 10% of wage earners. That makes many of we nurses square in the range of those who would be paying for others health care. Now at 50%-60% taxation to pay for a single payer system that would lower you take-home to about $35,000 a year. I don't know about where you live but California has a high cost of living for just necessities. $35,000 hardly feeds a cat.

This is not the solution - the solution is to change our current healthcare system to one that is Wellness based rather than one that is illness based. Medicare is a good stop-gap but most people can't rely on medicare alone to cover their medical bills. For some there is additional state programs available to provide healthcare to the poorest of the poor and children - but abuses abound both by those who utilize it and those who accept it.

So for the person who mentioned that I should get real - I suggest that the research I have done shows a very realistic approach to examining this issue.

Oh and let's not forget that Single payer would in fact mean lower wages and more difficult working conditions that what we already face. Say goodbye to Safe nurse/Patient ratio's that we have worked so hard for. Also even fewer young people will enter the profession which is already facing huge shortages.

It's not enough to look at the current problem and just throw money at it! You have to approach it from all angles. Remember when Clinton was elected and Hillary wanted to change the healthcare system. That effort failed because most hardworking people no matter their political affiliation were just unwilling to pay the Taxes necessary to fund it. Also I know many Doctors who have said that if Single payer goes through they'd just as soon hang up thier White Coats. One anethesiologist will not do epidurals on medicare patients in labor because "They only pay me $50.00 dollars to do one and If I get sued for a poor outcome the government does nothing to protect me! It's just not worth doing it."

Hppy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast