Thread: Superman died from infected bed sores

Superman died from infected bed sores

Now you know if he was receiving care in a nursing home the place would have been fined, closed down and the Board of nurses probably would have suspended the nurses licenses.

Re: Superman died from infected bed sores

I don't understand how he could have around the clock nursing care and have this happen to him. I have residents who are a mere 85 pounds who we keep turned and cleaned really well that don't have so much as a red area anywhere on their bodies. I don't understand how a nurse has NOTHING else to do but care for him and him alone couldn't manage to keep decubs from developing. None of it makes sense to me and seems really fishy, there's something else going on there.

The new changes to F-tag 315 will hold the facilities accountable for this type negative outcome. In order for a facility to avoid fines, they would have to prove the wound was unavoidable (ex: Kennedy terminal ulcer), which will be a HARD thing to do. If it were a clear case of patient neglect, we nurses are fairly bound to protect other patients from that kind of bad practice.

The reason why Superman died from a bedsore is because he was non-compliant. He made so many personal appearances and would do that instead of offloading. His complication was chronic refractory osteomyelitis. His health was declining in general also. My mother died from a bedsore with this same complication at 47 yrs. old but was compliant. The hospital where she stayed after an amputation, never turned her. It changed my life forever. I am now a wound nurse that makes sure I help everyone I can. Cheryl -- Ohio

I have a hard time with this one. If he was septic from the wound, that was preventable, unless he got osteomyelitis and then that would have to have been some gross wound. I have had patients so debilitated that they were not able to fight off any type of infection but I didn't think Reeve's was that bad off

I find little excuse for a bed sore as well as an infection to develop to the point that it would cost someone their life. Does any one have more details about his condition at the time of Death? Thanx

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

I know this is an old thread.....but I had to comment. It IS hard to believe that this could have happened, but it did occur, especially knowing how fast pressure sores can happen. I had heard something about his protein level? Unsure what, though. It's been a while.