Thread: Nursing Specialty

Nursing Specialty

Not sure how many there are out there, but any chance we could get a "Wound Care" in the forum for types of nursing? I'd love to find other people to bounce ideas/questions off of

Re: Nursing Specialty

Thank you for the suggestion It's a very good idea.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][U][B]Marie[/B][/U], RN in O.R, pursuing BSN, semester [U]?[/U] of [U]?[/U]:)[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]Supposedly 8 out of 10 people suffer from hemorrhoids. Does that mean that the other 2 people [I]enjoy[/I] them???:confused:[/B][/FONT]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT][/B]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]My little peapod has arrived :).[/FONT][/B]

:thumbsup:
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Thanks for the suggestion! I am sure we can trade alot of information. Hopefully others can learn from us, too!

'Cat'

Suppose I'll post my question here for now...
    2 things I am not sure what to do with and can't find info on the internet

First, my DON mentioned they used to use Moleskin on bony areas of feet to prevent breakdown. I've found the product on Medline's website but it provides little information on how it is used. Can anyone tell me if this is something that can only be used before the skin becomes irritated? I have some residents with stage I pressure sores all the way to unstagable black necrotic spots on feet. What types of issues can this be used for? And when you use it, how often is is applied are there any things to be aware of, etc??

Second question is I have a resident with a fissure in the ball of each of his feet, approx. 2cm x 0.3cm x 0.4 cm. One foot it is not painful, nor red... just looks like someone cut a slit into a block of cheese or something. There is no drainage or anything. The other foot however is painful, had an abcess that was drained and now has a fissure and what looks to be some peeling callused skin but still no reddness or drainage. I'm not sure how to treat these... I don't know if they should be kept dry, because they are on the feet and I've heard you shouldn't add moisture to foot wounds unless they are already moist. Or if it needs moisture to heal? Or if maybe using something to hold the fissure shut would promote healing? Or if this is maybe some type product of a fungal infection (his feet just "shed" a layer of dry callused looking skin when I was cleaning them today but skin looks great underneath it) Any ideas???

THANKS!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

If you can get A & D ointment, use that on the dry feet and legs. We have little packets available. Also, we use the 'moon boots' to keep feet off the mattresses.

'Cat'