Thread: Travelers treated with Respect

Travelers treated with Respect

Has anyone ran into the problem with hospitals where core staff and travelers are like 2 different intities. I must say, as a traveler for the past year and one half, I have really only ran into this approx 3 times. The hospitals though, especially where I last worked were paper happy, I even got a write-up for asking a supervisor a simple questions. The write ups went on and on for 2 pages and I had only been there 1 day. I was in the hospital the next day having emergency surgery. Do they not realize we are there because we choose to be there - We CHOSE that hospital and we CHOSE that department. In a lot of cases the core staff is making more than the traveler, so I promise you it is not for the money, nor the "Luxurious accommendations" we are in. We do it for the job, for what we went to school for and to provide patient care. It is time that hospitals should realize this and at least make up equal with the staff nurses. We should not be punished and treated "less than" because we enjoy travelling and are able to combine it with our job in our chosen field. Sorry, just needed to vent after this last assignment!!!! Donna Crowder:firedup:

Re: Travelers treated with Respect

I've been on three travel assignments and luckily they were great. The staff was so short they welcomed travellers. The perm staff and travel staff are separate enities as far as $ but travelers have to abide by the rules and regs of the host hospital. I've never encountered different expectations for travelers vs perm unless it was written in the contract (ie call, shift rotation, etc). Didn't you get an orientation to your new unit? As far as $, if you're not making more than perm staff then something is amiss (as far as I'm concerned). Maybe it's your agency? Don't give up travel because of one bad gig. Good luck!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

I may not be a travel nurse, but have worked alot of Agency work. I have worked at places where I was welcomed with open arms, yet have also worked at places where the workers were down right rotten. Guess it happens all over, eh? Am sure you'll find a nice place.

'Cat'

Traveler dumping is a live and rampant in my current assignment...

if you are running a team in the ER, and you have a free bed, they will give you the worst patients. its nice to see the regular staff on the internet and listening to their ipods while you are running rampant. ive even heard them say, "hes a regular, hes annoying, give him to the traveler"

i guess this is the nature of the beast.