Thread: New Student-18yrs. old-seeking advice

New Student-18yrs. old-seeking advice

Hi! I just found this site today. It has really been helpful. This is my first semester in college. I am 18, and I am not positive what to do with the rest of my life. I was originally an electrical engineering major. That is what my dad wanted me to do. I am very interested in nursing, but I am not sure if it is for me. I love people, and I love serving people. I am not really worried about the course-work, but do you have any advice on getting some experience? Would you advise getting my CNA certification or what? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: New Student-18yrs. old-seeking advice

Hi, i am also new to this site, just found it today. I am a nursing major and i am also in my first semester of college. I am very excited about my nursing career, luckily my parents didnt push me into anything else. I did the first 36 hours of my CNA traing this august and I plan on getting the next 75 hours on December. Im lucky because my college doesnt require you to actually be certified, just take the course. I have applied for a job at a local hospital that is also where i am a Scholar, and they are paying for me to go to school and i will pay them back while working for them. Other then that, im in the same boat. I am excited to get out of my general education courses and actually get into nursing. You should definitly check into nursing, there are so many opportunities

Hello Everyone,

I've been a nurse about seven years and don't have too many regrets about going in. I'll always have a job I like, can work in a dozen different types of nursing depending on what I want to do at a particular time.

Before you go much further, your eyes should probably be opened to what you're in for.

I'll suggest you read two articles (preferably more) written by nurses. One is mine, "Nursing, not for everyone, not for most people" and the other "After Fourteen Years As An RN, I Am Not Sorry For My Choice."

Two very different perspectives, you'll find both articles on http://www.nursefriendly.com/views/

The article will give you some of the advice you're looking for as student nurses.

I'd welcome feedback on the articles, feel free to ask us questions on these forums.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

A nurse is a very special person. You share the good times with some of your patients and you also share the bad times with them also. Sometimes a patient will have a miraculous cure that the patient receives coming out of nowhere. Many times they will fade into death not knowing, not knowing why. Nursing can be very rewarding when you see the new babies being born.