Are we over-specializing ourselves rather than seeking other career changes within our nursing field? Do you prefer to think of yourself as a "seasoned" nurse with strong a foundation with a focus on expert knowledge or experience? Does this make you more marketable or does it give you the satisfaction of feeling secure in your current career path?
I have often wondered how many RNs out there who have practiced 20 years plus are glad they chose the path they are pursuing or if they wish they had stayed working in an acute care setting? I have worked with nurses who had such experience, although rare, enjoy what they do.
If you are a nurse who has worked in a specialized area, do you have any regrets not pursuing another field, if so, what? For you out there who have decided to remain in the same field since graduating, do you have any regrets?
I suppose there are many statistics we can review to see how many of us change within our career but it hardly address our inner most regrets or desire to pursue another career path within or outside of nursing.
It would be great to see responses from any nurse about their career choices. Thanks!
By the way, I am a specialized nurse who has no regrets. Thanks!