Thread: UPDATE from HELP HELP HELP ME NOW!!!

UPDATE from HELP HELP HELP ME NOW!!!

Just wanted to keep in touch with you all regarding my issues. My job formally terminated me today, said "good luck" and good riddens. No compassion or loyalty out there anymore. I do have a question regarding short term disability. I have(had) it through my job, can I get it for this diagnosis? (I have pain med abuse issues, and seeking treatment). If so, what doctor do I get it through? I meet with the intake therapist tomorrow night, can she help me with that? I really need the supplemental income. Anyways, then on Thursday, I surrender my license and sign the contract for the Alternative program in Nevada. I feel hopeless. I can't quite see the good right now. Overwhelmed, and scared. I sometimes ask myself if nursing is worth the fight? I loved being a nurse. Thanks for listening, and I look forward to any responses on anything I have asked, or what I can expect in my future.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Re: UPDATE from HELP HELP HELP ME NOW!!!

Getting fired in these situations has nothing to do with compassion or loyalty. Hospitals often terminate us (impaired nurses) for a couple of reasons. If diverting drugs was involved it's criminal act/ a felony actually and grounds for termination in any workplace. 2nd even if the management is inclined to keep you on the risk management depart will almost always reccomend termination to protect the hospital from liabilty should the actions of an impaired cause injury or death to a patient.

On the disbility issue you need to go to a psychiatrist and get a diagnosis of Depression with substance abuse as the secondary diagnosis. Then you will quailfy for state disibility. Dont count on being alowed to return to work for 6mos to a year and when you do return it will initially be a non-patient care position.

I know that this seems like the end of the world right now, I thought so too when I was referred to the board. In hindsight 2 1/2 years later it's the best thing that ever happened to me. The big thing about getting through this program is follow the rules to the letter. Write to me any time for input. I will always answer. If you loved nursing you'll love it again.

Peace and Namaste
    hppy

Hi, just wanted to share that I was found ineligable for temp disability because my employer stated reason for separation from employment was disciplinary action. Also cant collect unemployment because after I asked for help they had me arrested. :luck:

if a nurse were diverting narcotics...vicodin, to be specific...and she was under no suspicion, but voluntarily turned herself into the diversion program, would their be criminal charges?

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by startinovr2 View Post
    Hi, just wanted to share that I was found ineligable for temp disability because my employer stated reason for separation from employment was disciplinary action. Also cant collect unemployment because after I asked for help they had me arrested. :luck:
    You should still be eligible for state disability under a psych diagnosis. Get the forms from the state and have you dr psychiatrist fill them out. Maybe it's different other states but almost everyone in my group in California got state disability for 6 mos to a year. Your employer doesn't even come into it. State disability is a policy you pay for and collect against when you are unable to work. It has nothing to do with how you stoped working or why. The psychiatrist will certify that you are unable to perform your regular duities due to mental illness and that's that. It has worked for everyone I know.

keep trying

hppy

Thanks Happy
    I did apply it took them a month to tell me I was ineligable. Stated due to termination. According to Nj so it seems you are supposed to be on medical leave.I am going to appeal for back pay . I had diagnoses of depression and opiate addiction. Now that I am graduated from rehab, which I paid cash for, I no longer have access to MD and with no income cannot afford an office visit. So I am hopeful for an appeal

Startinovr2

Smile Re: UPDATE from HELP HELP HELP ME NOW!!!

I agree with hppygr8ful on all accounts. In the smallest part of my heart, for a long time, I harbored resentment against my former employer for letting me go. I have since learned to give thanks! After I diverted, I told them everything and they gave me the option to resign or be terminated. They could have pressed charges against me, Thank God they didn't! I don't know what I expected, for them to throw their arms around me and say all was forgiven? Addict or not, I was wrong to steal drugs and falsify charts; simple as that. Every day is an effort to make amends for that.
    Hppygr8ful was also right about the disability issue. At least for those of us in CA. My disability was filed through my regular family MD who listed a Dx of depression. Not sure how it works in Nevada but I would imagine your Doctors office or Therapist office would have the info.
    Please hang in there. As hard as it has been over the last 3 years diversion has saved my life. At last I feel like the Promises are coming true for me and they will for you too!