Thread: Travel Nursing in England

Travel Nursing in England

I've looked all over and I can't find a payscale for how much they pay travel nurses in England. Does anybody know anything about going over there to work as an RN ?

Re: Travel Nursing in England

the payscale is not usually published and it is based on grade of nurse that you qualify as when you start over there, based on exp and specialty. You can usually expect 18,000 GBP -24,000 GBP per year and that may or may not include the weighting wage which is if you live in london and work as a nurse there. basically its what you may make here as a new grad living in one of the most expensive countries in the world. Thats why I did not go, but good luck. Rent for a flat share there will put you at 500 GBP -1000 gbp per month alone!

Red face Re: Travel Nursing in England

HI there!

I, too, was considering travel nursing in the UK. Looks like, from what I've found, it's a LONG process to even be OK'd by the NMC (Nurses & Midwives Council - http://www.nursingnetuk.com/cominguk...9795505df773fb) :mad: and you also have to take the IELT (International English Language Test) to prove that you can speak/read/ understand English! Even if you are from USA and have spoken English as your first language your entire life. It's part of the standard for NMC now if you are not part of UK/EU. :confused:

After all of that, you have to have someone sponsor you for your nursing learning orientation (in other words offer you a job) before you get there, and you have to work out your workvisa on your own unless you go through a particular agency which may offer to help you on that. And then, there's the info given above about costs for housing!

I still may pursue this, as I have made penpals in the UK now & they might even offer to let me rent a room from them - but it's a long process to get your NMC certification.

Good luck!!!

Kate C. in Pensacola

Smile Re: Travel Nursing in England

I am an american that went throught the looooooooong process of getting my UK License and I have to tell you it was hard!.Then comes the work. Most of the NHS hospitals are wards, no semi or private rooms.
    Wages are about £10-11.50 an hour.($20-22.50 USA) They furnish uniforms, no matter where you work in the National Health System. It is not easy. The private hospitals are better and offer more.
    There are the BMI healthcare, and Bupa Hospitals. Check them first. Check out agencies too. some are pretty good. Depending on what your specialty is will depend on if they take you on. They start you out as a Grade D...... no matter how many years you have! I have 20+ and was started out as a Grade D. PHP might work with you,but I have had no real response or joy from them! Research areas, like Manchester, not just the London area. They also want you to do a year at most places. If I can help let me know. Email me.
    All the best.