Thread: Just another Lawsuit...

Just another Lawsuit...

At least it looks as if the hospital is backing the nurses too... When will it end? Woman]Woman sues hospital after infection - Yahoo! News sues hospital after infection - Yahoo! News

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Just another Lawsuit...

The case will probably still go to a jury trial in civil court and the woman will be awarded lots of money because the jury sees things as doctors and hospitals have lots of money and it will come out of insurance with no thought to raising the cost of hospitals, doctors, insurance etc.
    I'm in a case right now where a woman's family is sueing the doctor after the woman did from an infection...it's been going on for a couple of years and will probably be another year before trial. From the charting and orders to me it doesn't look like anything was wrong at our hospital...she died 3 days after transfer to another hospital because she refused transfer to our ICU and wanted to be closer to home at the other hospital...she'd come to our hospital for surgery because of the reputation of our OR and MD instead of the close to home hospital.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Ya gotta wonder with all the anti bacterial this-and-that; kills all the 'good' bacteria on your skin as well. We just had an inservice last month regarding infection control, and the speaker mentioned this. And if you take an oral ABT, remember to eat yougurt; it replenishes the 'good' flora in your intestines. (Remember all the people with diarrhea while on ABT's?!)

'Cat'

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    Ya gotta wonder with all the anti bacterial this-and-that; kills all the 'good' bacteria on your skin as well. We just had an inservice last month regarding infection control, and the speaker mentioned this. And if you take an oral ABT, remember to eat yougurt; it replenishes the 'good' flora in your intestines. (Remember all the people with diarrhea while on ABT's?!)

'Cat'
    Actually there have been studies that we are losing our immune system. The old use or lose it syndrome.

I can't site any of the studies at the present moment but I have read them in the past.

And the super infections now. We were just informed by the CDC to stop using Vanco so much. For MRSA.

Member Extraordinaire

There is a such thing as being too clean. There is a happy medium but bleaching everything in the house all of the time isn't a good thing.

Kudos to Cat on the yogurt reminder. I have patients that have been on Antibx several times tell me this is the first they have ever heard of the yogurt theory. Some positive research is out on the acidophillis tablets (available at health food stores) for assisting with maintaining normal bacteria flora in the body. Are others recommending these?