Thread: Paging anyone who graduated RN ASN from Excelsior

Paging anyone who graduated RN ASN from Excelsior

I am an LPN for 27 years in NY. I'm meeting with someone about starting this program. I would like to hear from someone who actually graduated the LPN to RN ASN program, took and passed the RN state boards and is currently working.
    I'm pretty self disciplined and will study but I need to know there are real success stories out there before I commit.
    Thanks in advance,
    Debbie

Re: Paging anyone who graduated RN ASN from Excelsior

i did it. i passed all my exams the first time getting A's on all except one i got a B or C. i had to do clinicals twice though due to nerves. after i failed clinicals once i thought i can never do this then after feeling sorry formyslf i got the motivation to go do it. i took the attitude of i'm going to work really hard during the clinical and that did it as opposed to focusing on passing.
    in order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't mearly try to train him to be semi-human. the point is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly dog. :o

Smile Re: Paging anyone who graduated RN ASN from Excelsior

Thanks for responding. I'm glad to hear it went well for you. I'm very interested in this myself. I am also nervous about eventually taking the clinicals. Even though I'm working I haven't done a catheterization in forever.
    I hope you don't mind me asking one more question but how long did it take?
    Thanks,
    Debra

Ricu

Hi Debbie,

I am a graduate of the Excelsior program as well but then it was called Regents College. I had a background in respiratory care before going into nursing. The school accepted all of my transfer credits even though they were over ten years old, and the only additional course I needed to take was Sociology. I took the class at the local college and transferred those credits too. From the time I started the ASN program to when I was board certified took fourteen months. As you already stated, this style of education is definitely not for everyone and you do very much have to be disciplined but there is no better way for an adult who is in the workforce and likely raising a family to get that degree.

My experience with the "dreaded" clinical exam or CPNE was stressful but not out of control. Try to remember that only basic skills are tested. If you review the CPNE guide, you will find that more emphasis is on systems assessments; neuro, vascular GI ,etc. The direct nursing care part is also very basic; vital signs, bathing, turning, administering oral meds, measuring I/O and documentation. Be sure to take your time. Slow down. You will have two hours in which to take each part of the exam. Remember that those instructors really want you to do well too. They are there to observe and grade but they are very supportive. You mentioned that it's been a long time since you put in a catheter but you won't have to do anything like that for your test or give an injection or any other invasive thing. There is a lab component of the CPNE where you will do those more technical things like timing a gravity flow IV, drawing up meds, calculating a dose, and demonstrate sterile technique but there is no patient. I have three recommendations for preparing for this exam. First, become completely familiar with the CPNE study guide- know those critical elements inside out. Second, practice writing care plans using Carpenito's nursing diagnoses and finally but maybe most importantly, find a stress management technique that works for you and practice using it. This will be invaluable during those testing days.

During the testing weekend, it's a good idea to avoid spending time with other students who are excessively nervous. Being with them, grilling eachother about the test and always being in a panic state will undermine your confidence. Do your best to avoid this. If you meet other students who you can laugh with and who can be supportive, great. Otherwise, it's better to be alone and working on your stress management techniques. When I took my test, it was a beautiful clear autumn weekend in upstate New York. I spent my free time outside walking and it was the best thing for me to do.

Good luck,

R

Thank you for responding. You've given me some great information! I'm going to talk to the rep. I would like to go the traditional route but it's just not going to be an option due to my job.
    Thank you again.