Thread: Quick Intro and Question

Quick Intro and Question

I am 29 and making a career change into nursing. I took an EMT class a few years ago, and after doing my shifts in an ER, I decided that's where I want to be. I had to move across the country for my current job, and haven't been able to start classes due to outrages out of state fees. Now that I've established residency I can afford it.

So that's my breif background, my question is, since I will be a "male nurse", and as I've noticed on this forum a "patient mover", does anyone have any workouts they recomend to keep their lower backs strong and in good enough shape to prevent injury? I've recently been told that I have a degenerated disc in my lower back, and I know that back injurys are very common in the nursing field, but I am also a firm believer that with proper strength training and proper lifting technique I could still be successful. So what do the rest of you guys do to keep your back in shape, possibly yoga, pilates, or maybe just some 12 oz curls at the end of a shift to numb the pain?

Re: Quick Intro and Question

Good luck in nursing school. Nursing can be a physical job and its a good idea to keep in shape. I know if I don't watch my weight and get a little over the top with it I tend to hurt my back. Being in the Navy I am required to undergo physical assessments twice a year. I used to jog but now I do the gym thing 4-5 times a week. Machines, sit ups, stair stepper. Only takes about 50 minutes as I go there to work out and not socialize. 30 seconds between reps. You dont have to be a musclehead or bodybuilder to be a nurse but you should stay in shape. I see some really overweight nurses in civilian hospitals and wonder why they don't have more respect for themselves. Welcome to nursing.....we need more men. :luck:

Thanks for the response and the welcome. I dedicate about an hour a day to working out and would consider myself to all ready be in pretty good shape. My concern is that since I all ready have a minor issue with my back, I want to do everything I can to prevent any future injuries. I usually to weight training for about 1/2 hour, then cardio for 1/2 an hour. Since hearing about the back problem, I have added a core workout every other day. What I'm really wondering is if there are any specific exersices that any one would recommend to keep the lower back in shape and prevent injury?

I forgot the most important issue if you are moving patients or beds or any physical work....wearing of a vest......to help support your back.....most hospitals have them......

Quote Originally Posted by NavyJim58 View Post
    Good luck in nursing school. Nursing can be a physical job and its a good idea to keep in shape. I know if I don't watch my weight and get a little over the top with it I tend to hurt my back. Being in the Navy I am required to undergo physical assessments twice a year. I used to jog but now I do the gym thing 4-5 times a week. Machines, sit ups, stair stepper. Only takes about 50 minutes as I go there to work out and not socialize. 30 seconds between reps. You dont have to be a musclehead or bodybuilder to be a nurse but you should stay in shape. I see some really overweight nurses in civilian hospitals and wonder why they don't have more respect for themselves. Welcome to nursing.....we need more men. :luck:
    Wow man back up. I've seen some overweight physicians, radiologists,dieticians, etc. It's just not nurses.

I have 3 "bulging" discs in my back from heaving hay bales onto the farm truck as a teenager. It's never stopped me from lifting and repositioning patients. I've been in this business for 27 years now.

It's called body mechanics. Most nurses get the quick overview of it yearly if not sooner. You just have to be paying attention and utilize the concepts.

I don't work out. Never had one day out of work related to a back injury.

I did hurt my back once just leaning over a patient to listen to their heart. The pain was short-lived. A couple of hours. I didn't go home.

Do you have an exercise for bending over patients?

Ricu

Hi folks,

I injured my back at work when I was sixteen and have been in the disability "run-around" loop. Soon, thank God, I decided that this lifestyle wasn't what I was meant to live and I sought proper treatment. Eventually, I was adequately rehabilitated and released without restriction. Afterward, I was trained as an EMT and found myself doing a lot of lifting. As part of my rehab, I was educated in proper lifting and safe fitness techniques. I took advantaqge of this knowledge and strengthened my body. Eventually, I would go on to be certified as a personal trainer and teach weight training and fitness practices. Simultaneously, I worked in the healthcare field and eventually became a registered nurse. Currently I am middle aged and stronger than I have ever been. I have my occasional aches and pains but nothing serious. I work out regularly, have no problems lifting my patients, and always follow safety guidlines. In fact, I'm the one called to help lift the really heavy patients. My advice to all healthcare workers is to follow an exercise program including strength training and to maintain an ideal body weight. Being overweight contributes to chronic back pain and promotes back injury.

Good luck,

R

I never really thought about being in shape as it relates to the healthcare industry, but it really would be grueling to be out of shape. I've started lifting/running again, and I have to admit, I feel much better. This not only pertains to life outside of work, but also on the job. It makes me feel good that I'm doing something for my body, as well as the people I care for.

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by scrubs00 View Post
    I never really thought about being in shape as it relates to the healthcare industry, but it really would be grueling to be out of shape. I've started lifting/running again, and I have to admit, I feel much better. This not only pertains to life outside of work, but also on the job. It makes me feel good that I'm doing something for my body, as well as the people I care for.
    Dear Scrubs,

Congratulations on making such a worthwhile choice! I'm sure you won't ever regret it. Working out not only imporves and maintains your health and stamina, it's an excellent way to unload your stress. I hope you make it a lifelong habit.

R

Hey Scrubs00,
    after the workout at the gym is over you need to do an exercise at work too, it's called self preservation. In nursing school we lost two students to back injuries and the only thing they had in common was they helped move someone they were not in charge of. It may be tempting to "Lend a hand" but it is also dangerous. The same thing has happened on the floors people getting hurt while helping someone out. I'm not saying BE A SNOB about it just don't become the designated lifter on your shift.
    Be a friend, not a statistic.:luck:
    "BECAUSE I SAID SO" IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON.