Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Started My CNA Job And...

Just Started My CNA Job And...

I dunno, is it just me, or do the RN's really despise us.

I mean, I don't mean to complain, but here's what I've been subjected to a month into this job:

Not getting a "thank you" after I've just helpd them with something.

Them not even aknowledging me when I cross paths with them when I walk down the halls. I mean, I know that they're busy and all, but c'mon. A simple nod would be suffice, but no.

Has any of you fellow CNA's been treated this way, or is it just me?

Re: Just Started My CNA Job And...

Quote Originally Posted by HenryKrinkle View Post
    I dunno, is it just me, or do the RN's really despise us.

I mean, I don't mean to complain, but here's what I've been subjected to a month into this job:

Not getting a "thank you" after I've just helpd them with something.

Them not even aknowledging me when I cross paths with them when I walk down the halls. I mean, I know that they're busy and all, but c'mon. A simple nod would be suffice, but no.

Has any of you fellow CNA's been treated this way, or is it just me?

Simple answer? No. Each and every person, no matter what profession, is unique. But, you already know that.

The not-so-easy-to-take answer? As a CNA (I was one for 10 years), you are non-existent. You are NOT a peer, so most of your nurses will not spend too much time worrying if they hurt your feelings or not. They have larger issues to worry about.

I know that sounds callous, but that is the real world. You WILL come across nurses that have a more pronounced sense of manners and etiquette, but don't expect it from all of them. Also, as YOU rise through the ranks, and more and more responsibility is placed upon your shoulders, you might find yourself forgetting everyday pleasantries as you mid rifles through the thousand and one things you need to do, supervise or finish within the next 15 minutes.

Good luck with your job, and try not to worry so much about civility on the jobsite, and worry more about the patients.

You work for THEM.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

I thank the aides as much as possible; we're all in the profession together. Sorry that you work with some unthinking people, but perhaps they just don't realize how they are coming across.

'Cat'

I am a RN student and I have also worked as a PCT (patient care tech) for five years and have varied experiences. I currently work in an ER, and most of the RN's I work with are always thanking me for helping them. I also worked a few shifts in an affiliated hospital and the nurses there treated me like crap. One thing I have noticed in my years as a tech is that generally most nurses I have had the privilege to work with are very nice and treat me with respect. I also have noticed that the techs that have been there longer do have a closer bond to the nurses and new techs have to "prove" themselves. I just transferred to the ER about 4 months ago, and the nurses are just now starting to "warm-up" to me, they have always been polite, but they are just now starting to try to get to know me as a person and not just someone to help them. You might need to give them a chance on your floor because a hospital floor can be like a secret society at times. Also I don't know if you are male or female, but males do tend to get treated differently on a hospital floor, it doesn't matter if you are a tech or a RN. There is still a stereotype about males working in the healthcare field as a tech and as a nurse. I am really glad that there are more males coming into the field and I hope that the stereotype changes soon, I have 5 males in my nursing class and they really are a great addition to my class. It helps to have a male perspective, plus helps to break up sometimes the fact that there is so much estrogen in the room.

Sorry this has happened to you. I always address my CNA's every morning with a smile and a good morning to them. I don't always get a good reply and can kind of tell what kind of a day it may be. Try to hold your head up and above all, smile, smile, and keep smiling.

Good topic and it comes up quite frequently in all hospitals and especially nursing homes. I worked as a nursing assistant while in nursing school.....some years ago. I have two thoughts on the subject. 1. some people including myself at times seem to expect to be "thanked" for everything and all the time. I did a good job for you....where's my thankyou and my trophy?...........don't expect to be thanked for doing your job.......when you are thanked it's a nice surprise....... 2. Too many nurses don't appreciate their nursing assistants......they see what the nursing assistants "don't do" rather than what they do.......some people expect too much from nursing assistants........ I have seen really excellent nursing assistants quit because they were not appreciated or did not get a 25 cent raise.......overall as an administrator my feeling is that nursing assistants are not really valued the way they should be......the thinking is "we can replace them anytime".......Its an individual issue and I do appreciate and value my nursing assistants and my nurses for the most part feel the same way because I "push it".......the boss sets the tone for the working environment.....the boss needs to value all their people including nursing assistants.

Member Extraordinaire

An opinion from the other side of this issue... I'm an RN in the ER, and most of the CNA's I work with are great, but there is one I work with who is just awful- everytime I ask her (nicely) to please do an EKG or take a patient to the floor or to MRI- all of which are her JOB- she rolls her eyes at me and cops a huge attitude. When I say "thank you" to her when she does something for me, she rolls her eyes again and says "whatever." So... I am done trying to be nice to this CNA. If she hates her job so much, she should quit. I try to be kind and appreciative of the help I get from CNA's, but this particular one has made it very clear that she is going to have a bad attitude with me no matter what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaWIRN View Post
    An opinion from the other side of this issue... I'm an RN in the ER, and most of the CNA's I work with are great, but there is one I work with who is just awful- everytime I ask her (nicely) to please do an EKG or take a patient to the floor or to MRI- all of which are her JOB- she rolls her eyes at me and cops a huge attitude. When I say "thank you" to her when she does something for me, she rolls her eyes again and says "whatever." So... I am done trying to be nice to this CNA. If she hates her job so much, she should quit. I try to be kind and appreciative of the help I get from CNA's, but this particular one has made it very clear that she is going to have a bad attitude with me no matter what I do.
    Good point AmandaWIRN.......most places have at least one bad apple in the barrel.......AND.....one bad apple can spoil the whole barrel.......posion the environment for everyone......if your CNA refuses to change her ways.....she needs to be shown the door.......its not hard to make it happen........:luck:

Appreciate your CNA's for what they are there to do bc seriously---without them you will have a hard time.

like another has said its probably b/c you havent been there long. there is usually alot of turnover with cna's so it is true in some facilities that you have to prove yourself before people acknowledge you. is this fair? no but life is not always fair. i noticed this earlier on in my nursing career. i learned from it and now use it as a way to be a better supervisor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast