Thread: what can cause positive amphetamine

Exclamation what can cause positive amphetamine

does anyone have any idea if anything can cause a positive amphetamine in urine? i had a postive test and don't use now and have never used amphetamines. It's possible it "could be a lab mistake" so I just had another urine done and am awaiting results.

Re: what can cause positive amphetamine

I have no idea what it could be. All but one ADHD drug could do it, like Adderall, Focalin, Ritalin, Concerta, etc. There's also Provigil - a anti-hypersomnia drug that's being used a lot for shift-work fatigue, etc. Meridia - a weight loss drug could do it.

Of course, you would know if you took those. Let us know how your second test comes out.
    Tom, RN. . . Neuro ICU, ER, Level 1 Trauma, Chronic Dialysis, Bone Marrow Transplant

I had a positive test for amphetamine about a year ago. They had done a split sample, so when they retested in greater detail it turned out to not be, duh, i knew it wasn't, i just didn't know how i was going to prove it. Thank you lab protocol!!

After that i looked into it, and most cough meds, some antihistamines, things of that nature will show as amphetamine. I have also read that Wellbutrin (Zyban) could cause a positive. Good luck!

Just wondering...what's a split sample? I'm wanting to know more about how these tests are run. Geeze - at least my second urine came back clean.

They will take your sample, put it into 2 cups (i guess?) they run tests on the first half. if all is well nothing else is done. If something shows up, they either run a more in depth test on the second half, or send it to another lab for retesting. (mine was sent to a completely different lab) I was told this was common procedure for these kind of tests. Must not be at your lab.

I wish I had split specmen done years ago. I know it was a lab error...could never prove it. WOuld not let me submit new urine...but would retest same sample...hell if it were miss labeled it would still come up positive. I was devestated.

Dear just4ladejane: I've been reading your posts and want to say good luck to you as you try to get your license back. It sounds like you've been doing all the right things. Good luck.