Thread: New Grad

New Grad

I am currently finishing my senior year of school and will be graduating in December to become a RN.
    I am a single male with no financial, family, or romantic obligations. Most of my friends are starting their families or moving away after school.
    I currently live in the Phoenix AZ area, and work in the ER for a magnet hospital.
    But I have also lived here my entire life and want to move after school.

I figure this is my best chance to get out and try someplace new.

I am looking for advice and experience, so I propose the question to those of you out there:

Where are the nicest places to live with good hospitals to work for?
    And is it affordable for a new grad?

Re: New Grad

Congratulations on your choice of careers. Nurses, even new grads can make excellent money right out of school......especially if you are young and single and don't mind working a little overtime. As you are asking for advice i'll happily give you my two cents worth. I have lived all over the country including California, Texas, Georgia, Hawaii, Washington DC area, Maine and Florida. As you know nurses are needed in all states including Hawaii. The number of jobs and pay may very but you can find a position anywhere.

I would recommend Hawaii, San Diego, Los Angeles or anywhere in Florida for a young single guy. If you are interested in purchasing a nice home then South Texas is a good place with Sun and beach and cheap homes.

Good luck

Member Extraordinaire

I'd go where NavyJim says but then I like the heat and the beach you couldn't pay me enough to live anyplace that gets feet of snow for months or has temps below 40 for too many months give me 90 degrees.... there are lots of books out there about places rated with the best places to live based on cost, activities, age or people, culture etc. Check out forums here with discussions about large vs small hospitals both have advantages and disadvantages it depends on the individual

Quote Originally Posted by cassioo View Post
    I'd go where NavyJim says but then I like the heat and the beach you couldn't pay me enough to live anyplace that gets feet of snow for months or has temps below 40 for too many months give me 90 degrees.... there are lots of books out there about places rated with the best places to live based on cost, activities, age or people, culture etc. Check out forums here with discussions about large vs small hospitals both have advantages and disadvantages it depends on the individual
    Excellent advice from Cassioo.....I'm taking it myself :houra: