Thread: Rehab, sobriety, and licensing.

Rehab, sobriety, and licensing.

Hi all,

I'm a prospective student. I've been clean and sober 14 years and was in a rehab 14 years ago. I'm wondering if any knows if state Board's look unkindly on rehab stays. If they ask I intend to answer honestly, of course. Do they ask? If one answers affirmative does it negatively affect one's chances?

I've no drug or alcohol convictions per se, just a couple silly misdemeanors from 18 plus years ago and an unfortunate recent misdemeanor I'm opting for non-conviction diversion on. That last one is unfortunate because it's embarrassing and was really out of character for me. There's a back story but it's just boring. All the misdemeanors are so-called passive ones, i.e. no violence or drugs or molestation or fraud or anything listed as the type of thing that automatically disqualifies people from nursing. Anyway, I've been advised by the CA BRN that if I demonstrate exemplary behavior, seek some counseling, get good evals and letters from professors, and write a good explanation then I shouldn't worry about it. But, I worry about it still. And I worry that coupled with the recovery issue it might make me seem not as morally upright as I know myself to be.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I am not soliciting legal advice, just interested in what experiences people have had or heard about.

Thanks!

Re: Rehab, sobriety, and licensing.

I would think that since its been so long ago that THOSE shouldn't matter. You of course have to pass a drug test and they can do a sobriety test at any time. I am not sure about the RECENT misdemeanor. I THINK they only ask about felonies. But, no one would have to know you were in counseling and if that was something you wanted to bring out in the open then I would suggest personally talking to your nursing coordinator, that way SHE would be the only one who had to know. No Students and no other teachers. Just a thought

Re: Rehab, sobriety, and licensing.

At the risk of sounding extremely harsh, these past problems may hurt you. Hypothetically speaking, (and I'm not even going to speak for any one person on a nursing board), but if I were the one giving the interview this type of thing would throw up a red flag. It is true we all make mistakes. That is unavoidable. We are human after all. However, being the animal most able to articulate, common sense should come into play. Some forethought on a decision you are making now that could possibly affect the rest of your life and potential career possibilities, rests on you. How does the board know if your are not primed to re-offend? It is their job to make sure that the nurses they are sending into the workforce are not going to cause any possible patient harm. Im not implying that you would, but try to think of how you might see it from an other point of view. If you are one of those who could really make a difference and change a patient's life forever, I wish you luck in your endeavors.