Thread: What is the best way to transition into a second career in Health Care?

What is the best way to transition into a second career in Health Care?

Hello all,

I'm currently looking to transition into the Health Care field, ultimately into a travel RN (or possibly travel Rad Tech) position. The path I currently plan to take is to first get certified as a Patient Care Tech at my local community college, then work nights as a PCT while going to school for my ADN during the day for the next 2 years. I heard hospitals will even pay for your ADN most of the time. The only problem with the PCT route is that I'm not sure that I'll be able to make enough money to live off of during my ADN training as a PCT. I hear they only get paid $10-12 per hour... Please let me know how you were able to transition into Health Care successfully or if you know anyone who has...

If a similar question has been posted/answered or I've posted this in the wrong section, please re-direct me, thanks!

Re: What is the best way to transition into a second career in Health Care?

Quote Originally Posted by forchette49 View Post
    Hello all,

I'm currently looking to transition into the Health Care field, ultimately into a travel RN (or possibly travel Rad Tech) position. The path I currently plan to take is to first get certified as a Patient Care Tech at my local community college, then work nights as a PCT while going to school for my ADN during the day for the next 2 years. I heard hospitals will even pay for your ADN most of the time. The only problem with the PCT route is that I'm not sure that I'll be able to make enough money to live off of during my ADN training as a PCT. I hear they only get paid $10-12 per hour... Please let me know how you were able to transition into Health Care successfully or if you know anyone who has...

If a similar question has been posted/answered or I've posted this in the wrong section, please re-direct me, thanks!
    Student loans and grants to supplement the low income. Bear in mind that most jobs will require a year before they consider repaying your tuition, so plan accordingly. It's hard, but can be done, especially if you like ramen noodles
    :houra:

Re: What is the best way to transition into a second career in Health Care?

It's not a bad idea to get some health care experience prior to starting work as an RN, but it's not necessary, and it might not be easy, especially if you are able to make higher wages in another field during school. It sounds as if you are currently working in a field that pays much better than a typical hospital CNA position, so it might be financially easier for you to maintain your current profession while going back to school for your ADN.

You have many options for obtaining an RN, including online classes, so you should be able to find a program that will suit your scheduling needs. Also, with most college based RN programs, there is a waiting list of at least a year before you are able to start the core nursing curriculum. This will give you an opportunity and time to complete any missing prerequisites. If you do need any prereqs done it would be wise to complete them prior to starting your nursing classes as the workload can be very demanding.

Some hospitals do offer an "Earn as you Learn" type of program. I did something like that when I completed my ADN. In exchange I gave the hospital two years of employment after I received my RN as part of a contractual agreement. I did work at the hospital as a paramedic during school, but it was not part of the contract. This worked out very well for me as I was able to bypass the waiting list and complete my ADN about two years earlier than I had anticipated. The college I chose had a very long waiting list at that time. I believe it's even longer now.