Thread: Respect (or lack thereof) in nursing

Respect (or lack thereof) in nursing

Hi everyone,

As mentioned in another post, I am planning on attending nursing school in the fall. I still have some lingering worries about a new career, though I am exited!

One think I've always wondered about is whether nurses are generally treated respectfully by doctors/other nurses/staff/patients most of the time. By this I am meaning on average - do you usually feel appreciated/valued for what you do? Or do you more often than not feel disrespected and demoralized in your role?

I know this is a broad question, but I've heard lots of scary stories and just want to get a general idea of moral. I tend to be a fairly sensitive person, so want to prepare myself!

Thanks!

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Respect (or lack thereof) in nursing

I feel like the doctors have always respected me for the most part every now and then one has a little fit. I also know what I'm talking about when I talk to them. There are nurses I work with that the docs won't talk to and don't want taking care of their patients. I don't feel disrespected by docs and co-workers (but I'm sure some I work with do) More often I think the patients and families are difficult in my area (L&D) when they come in and think they are in labor and they aren't and they get sent home (but that's usually the teenagers who are now independent and know everything and their friends until they really are in labor then they change their tone)

It also depends lots on the general workings of the unit you are on and how everyone does or doesn't work together when you feel like your beat down.

Congrats on your decision on becoming a nurse! I've only been a nurse for a short time, but have seen the good and the bad. During clinical rotation, some docs were decent, some were jerks to put it politely. I currently work in LTC and really only deal with a handful of physicians, and they're all cool. But really, your question regarding doctors/other nurses/staff/patients has sort of a simple answer. When you dissect the behavior of doctors, etc and how it impacts the nurse in a general sense, you'll always find good and bad. I've been lucky thus far. But do I feel respected? I don't know yet! I don't feel disrespected, although I have at times by my patients and administration. But you learn from that.

Respect, now there is a topic! I have found that for the most part, the physicians are respectful, although, there is always a couple of them that are jerks, but you get that anywhere. For the co-workers, I have found, again, for the most part, you give respect, you get respect. Patients, families, they usually give you respect.
    Good luck on your nursing career choice. I started later in life in nursing, and still pursuing my RN degree (started with LVN).
    I enjoy my position in the hospital I work at. I have found that keeping a good attitude about the hectic things that happen all the time, things don't get as stressful.

Anonymous

Re: Respect (or lack thereof) in nursing *DELETED*

Post deleted by shortbus

LOL, you got some serious issues sister! why don't you call a 1-900 number and ask them, or better yet go on Jerry and ask him. I don't know about you bruce. This is a nursing forum idiot.

Nursing is a wonderful career, and the sky is the limit. When you job hunt be careful on the job you accept. Some hospitals are great about caring for their nurses. Some jobs are a nightmare. If the interview process is one of getting to know you, and full of tough questions with good eye contact, and the interviewer makes room for you to ask questions, 9 times out of 10 you will have a positive experence. These are the managers who have a great staff, and want to keep it that way.

I feel respected for the most part by coworkers and physicians. As far as patients and the public, I feel appreciated most of the time, and respected some of the time; there are times when you run into people who think you are there as a servant, but I imagine you run into that in any line of work. Rewards are many.

Well, i know that the bulk of my experience has been that patients respect u because u hold the pain med, lol . No seriously, you spend a HUGE chunk of thier day with them, and that counts for something. Dr.s dont aways give us the respect we deserfe, but knowin your heart that you are the Backbone of the profession, and u are what keeps theunit together

The amount of respect you get is largely going to depend on your attitude and how much you demand. There are doctors, patients and other nurses for that matter that will treat you like dirt if you let them.

It's usually not personal though it will feel like it. If you call them on their behavior and make it clear you don't appreciate it, will not tolerate it, you'd be surprised at the reaction you get.

The problem is a lot of nurses will not take this approach. You need to have very thick skin to make it as a nurse in the long run. Knowing when to "bite your tongue" and when to speak your mind is an essential skill.

This is a lawsuit that went to trial on exactly this issue:

Emergency Department Nurse Verbally Abused, Physician History Well Documented
    Official tolerance for verbal abuse and sexual harassment is approaching zero. It is clear that both are still prevalent in healthcare settings today. Enforcing and reporting instances of abuse are critical to an end being put to the situation. In this case, a physician had a "history" of verbal abuse in the facility involved. It was the documentation of previous events that made formal action and administration of a suspension feasible.
    Gordon v. Lewiston Hospital, 714 A.2d 539 – PA (1998)
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/nursing...ses/060699.htm

Hope that sheds some light on the topic.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com