Thread: Nursing student hoping to excel!

Red face Nursing student hoping to excel!

I have one more month until I go into my 2nd semester of nursing school. I want to utilize this time to learn more about nursing. Does anybody have any advice on the most important aspects I should learn about?? I'm currently working on memorizing electrolyte imbalances (risks, manifestations, and interventions). I love learning about health and nursing. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!

Re: Nursing student hoping to excel!

It's great that you're working hard and have enthusiasm for learning. I've had over 20 years experience in nursing, including a few teaching 1st semester nursing students. I would advise you to learn the principles of what's going on in a situation. There's a limit to what you can memorize, but if you understand the principles of physiology in an electrolyte imbalance, then from that you can see why the patient is having certain symtomatology when the lab values are out of line. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by annalouise98 View Post
    I have one more month until I go into my 2nd semester of nursing school. I want to utilize this time to learn more about nursing. Does anybody have any advice on the most important aspects I should learn about?? I'm currently working on memorizing electrolyte imbalances (risks, manifestations, and interventions). I love learning about health and nursing. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!
    Ugh! that e-lyte stuff was the most difficult thing for me last semester.

Get familiar with lab values and get to know the more common drugs. A big part of what you need to know for starters.

I would recommend you revise and keep revising your drug calcs.....i used to dream about this when i was at uni and it so valuable during my first year out....

I also recommend you learn more about nursing and legal issues such as consent etc. It's always helpful to have knowledge about where you stand legally in your practice.