Thread: Math For Meds and Medical Terminology

Math For Meds and Medical Terminology

I was wondering if anyone has any information on Math for meds (Primarilly dealing with math such as grams, etc) and Medical Terminology? Before the end of Feb, early March I need to take these two tests before I can be addmitted into the LPN program here. Just wondering if anyone might have some insight on these topics. Thanks.

Re: Math For Meds and Medical Terminology

Well I dont know about the math for meds, but i am currently taking a med term course and all i can say is it is a lot of memorizing of terms. Our book for the class is giant, it puts my chem book to shame.

You can find an online Math For Pharmacology Tutorial here:

Fear of Math or Concerned about Proficiency?:"What is different about Pharmacology Math? What do I need to know to be successful? Show me how to do it. Key points.
    Abbreviations Conversions / Equivalencies

Note: This is the "tutorial" section. A suggestion: Read the tutorial for your area of need before performing the quiz."
    http://www.accd.edu/sac/nursing/math/default.html

You can find resources for Medical Terminology here:
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/terminology

Wish you luck!

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursingstudents.com

1 thing I learned in regards to Pharm math is that if you understand how to do basic conversion formulas, you're golden. They're not gonna ask you no advanced calculus questions (as a real nurse that is working in a hospital or what have you) because that leaves way, way to much room for a med error.

I remember when I applied for nursing school, the only math class required was "math for pharmacology" and it was a single credit class.

It focused strictly on conversions, decimal points, calculating iv drip rates and the like.

Not a lot of complicated math, just basic skills and memorizing drams, teaspoons, etc.

Don't let it intimidate you, just take it, pay attention in class and be done with it.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursingstudents.com

I am doing both of these books right now. I finished the Math for Meds in 3 days. But like doing nothing but that. It is pretty simple and if you don't already know what it is, then it explains it very well for you. The only down side to this one is looking at the conversion charts on the front cover and memorizing them.
    As for Medical terminology, easier than you think. This book by Vaughn, is awesome. He gives you the word (root, prefix or subfix) then an audionym and a visual. It makes it surprisingly easy. For example: word: Gastr audionym: gas truck visual: see a GAS TRuck with a STOMACH for a tank. Meaning: stomach. Then litterally when you see gastr, you automatically picture that silly gas truck. And then you just do that 350 times. It is just time consuming is all.
    :luck:

Algebra!!
    Tom, RN. . . Neuro ICU, ER, Level 1 Trauma, Chronic Dialysis, Bone Marrow Transplant

I took a medical terminology class in Los Angeles, and it was great! It only took 3 days, and I had 95% retention!

Total Terminology