Thread: Question for new nurses or prospects!

Communicable Disease?

New nurses or prospects filling out new hire stuff.... What diseases are/where you asked about?? Did you have to take any blood tests? Reason I'm asking is below.

I need some help. I have a communicable disease and want to become a RN and then go further and get my BSN. However, I need to know if it's even worth doing because I have Hep B.

My disease is being treated, but will never be cured, but it is suppressed with my medication.

Is there a rule somewhere that someone with a communicable disease can't be hired as a nurse? Does the Nursing School or Hospital test you? What happens if a test comes back positive?

What diseases do they look for?

I hope someone can help me. I don't want to waste the money for classes and learn I can't do anything. Please, help me out!!

~C

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Question for new nurses or prospects!

Shouldn't have a problem. Naomi Judd was a nurse before she started singing, has Hep. C. (contracted from a patient/needlestick). As long as you practice handwashing, etc., you and your (future) patients will be ok.

'Cat'

Anyone know a definate answer? I don't want to put my time, money and effort into this if it's all going to be for nothing....

P.S. My other thread was deleted, somehow by mistake, and I lost the posts that I had. If you're reading this again, please post what you said before as it is now lost to me. Sorry!

Since Hep B is spread through body secretions I don't see it as any kind of problem, as long as you are taking proper precautions, which are mandatory anyways (standard precautions, universal precautions) you shouldn't have any problems. I don't think you could legally be tested for something like this because unlike drugs, it doesn't impair your job performance. Basically, you aren't anymore likely to give it to a patient as they are to give it to you if you are following "the rules".

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

try to be a psychiatric nurse? at least most of your interventions are more on therapeutic communications.. :eek:

Follow up r/t Psychiatric Nurse --- There are different type/levels of Psych Nurse. I have worked in most every type of facility as a Psych Nurse ... I have passed meds, given PPD, IM over objection, IM birth control, Flu shots, Deconates etc.

Yes there is alot of therapeutic intervention; however you continue to utilize your basic MS skills - it just depends on what setting you choose to work in Psychiatric Nursing.

Best wishes