Thread: Negotiating pay

Negotiating pay

I have completed (almost) 4 assignments and never had negotiated pay. This new assignment that I'm seriously looking at is just a little low in the pay area. Does anyone ever negotiate? I really want the job and don't want to blow my chances by asking for more. I don't think they would pull the offer just b/c of it, but should I try?

Re: Negotiating pay

I always negotiate pays unless it is where it is suitable for me, which is very rare. But I have been a nurse for many years, have vast experience and am good at what I do. Why would they not offer everyone lower pay rates? This is the nature of this business. They are in this business, (for the most part) to MAKE MONEY AND YOU ARE THEIR PRODUCT DOING THE WORK FOR THEM. I have become selective about my assignments, as I just won't take anything just because it is the destination. Work is work wherever you go. They told me Florida didn't pay but I went for right under 40/hr. This career in travel nursing can be pretty much what you make it to be. I guess what I'm trying to say is never let anyone sell you short. But....if your goal is to visit many places, and pay is not so much a big issue, than do what you need to do.Most of all, have fun with this career, it opens many doors with the people you meet and the experience you get thru all your travels. What do we hear all the time from staff nurses? I wish I could be like you and be flexible enough to do travel nursing, but I could never do it!It never hurts to negotiate, as a matter of fact, I even tell some recruiters, don't call me back unless you can offer me at least this much, along with what I need with my in my little list of "I wants". Good luck!!!!
    Every decision you make stems from what you think you are, and represents the value that you put upon yourself.-ACIM

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Negotiating pay

I agree- my recruiter knows not to even bother offering me positions that pay below a set amount.