Thread: thinking of switching specialties

thinking of switching specialties

I am a nurse of almost 3 years now, and have been working on a busy med/surg floor since starting. I average 6 patients on most days with various problems, sometimes simple, but often time multi-system. It's hard work, but I enjoy it just the same.
    Since beginning nursing I have often thought of being a Hospice nurse. I am very conflicted..because I'm not terribly unhappy where I am. I just have always felt pulled towards Hospice. I just don't want to change, then find out I really don't care for it.
    Are there any out there who can give me insights on a typical day? The Hospice in my area drives to the patients homes...but that's all I know. Thanks in advance!
    Linda

Member Extraordinaire

Re: thinking of switching specialties

Does your hospital have it's own hospice or is it seperate? If they have their own, you can maintain you seniority and if you don't like it transfer back. Or does your hospital offer perdiem where you can still maintain seniority and come back if you want? I didn't do hospice but home health...similar but my patients weren't terminal. I had a schedule of daily, weekly and monthly pts depending on what the need was ie: daily insulin, monthly labs/port flushes weekly medication infusions. I'd be at each house 30 minutes to 4 hours. You do see lots of different home environments...one lady I gave monthly IV med in her familyroom overlooking her pool to a man with every other week cath changes but bugs crawling everywhere adn the floor falling in. I mostly saw newborn & pediatric patients. Got paid for milage and had to take a certain amount of call for the whole agency per month. I left pediatrics which I loved but it was time to move one. I like home health but it was time to move on there also. I think I'll stick with my L&D now.

Re: thinking of switching specialties

I have been a nurse for 14 years and have had worked in 4 different areas. The funny thing is, I loved all 4 areas. ER, CVICU, CCU, and Out patient therapy care. You can always go back to what you were doing if you want.

What is important is that you maintain you seniority with in you organization. That is so important come retirement. And trust me, retirement will come.